And a thousand years

I sat on a bench, holding a shabby broken branch and fiercely leading her on loose ground. The old man spoke in a low, calm voice and the more terrible to hear what he was saying.

- She died three days later, at six o'clock in the evening. Three days later, i.e. Monday. On this day, it will have four pairs of the institute, after which she would go to visit a friend. She would leave her at five o'clock. Ten minutes to six she sits on the "minibus", which will carry her home. Exactly at six o'clock bus collide with trucks and overturn. Two people die. It is including.

I jerked the hand, and the branch snapped. I looked at him: ordinary old man, 60 years old, old-fashioned dressed with tight wrinkles around the mouth - it is not the impression of a madman. He sat down next to me an hour ago, and he's about me and Tanya knew. But how can you believe this? It was absurd, nonsense, but something in his eyes half-closed and undisturbed movement told me that he was not lying.

- Who are you? - Was a lump in my throat, I found it difficult to speak.

- It does not matter - he shook his head. - But neither God nor the devil I do not have anything, just telling you.

I still clutched in the hands of a branch, I could not calm down.

- Let's say you're telling the truth - I swallowed and remembered the old man said that I gave Tanya on the anniversary of our acquaintance. Did not know that no one but us Tanya!

- Let's say you're telling the truth, and on Monday will happen what you said. I want to know what you want, why you told me this and how can I ... yes, how can you avoid it?

"On Monday, Tanya is at home - I decided. - I'll come to it, and we will sit all day at home ».

- This can not be avoided, even if you tell it to, and even if it does not go anywhere - the old man looked at me.

- But it will not be on the bus! - I cried.

The old man shrugged:

- Then she will die in a different way. But exactly at six o'clock. Is the house so safe? Tanya kind lives on the tenth floor, is not it? High! ...

I wanted to punch him in the face. Its yellow, dry, old face. Where did he come from? And why Tanya? She never did do anything wrong, my favorite, the only Tanya!

I clenched my teeth and closed his eyes.

- It's not fair! - I quickly turned to him. - But you do not just said it! What do you want?

He corrected an old shabby hat on his head, brushed with a coat dust particles, folded his hands in front of him and said:

- I have not talked to you in all of this, if there were no possibility of avoiding this particular outcome. You do, of course, do not want your favorite Tanya died? - He looked at me. - Yes, silly question. So, every event, and death, including, of course, is predetermined and can not fix it man. People die when they die, and I always jarred expression "unexpected", "sudden death". A person can alleviate the suffering, but we can not postpone the day and time of his death. It is excluded. But as they say, there are no rules without exceptions.

I have carefully listened to him. He spoke not of age clearly and quickly.

- I can give you a chance. Your Tanya will be healthy, happy, she will live a long life. She did not die on Monday. It depends on you.

I grabbed his arm:

- What should I do?

He leaned back and rubbed his knuckles and said:

- The price is very high.

- Tanya for me is priceless - I told him, looking into his eyes. - What should I do?

He chuckled, shaking his head. Then he told me, pointing:

- Look around. True, beautiful?

- Yes, nice - I said.

The old man chuckled satisfactorily.

- I know you value beauty. A ballet you and Tanya go almost every month.

He knew that, too. I asked him again:

- So what should I do?

He paused, then asked:

- You are very fond of Tanya?

I did not answer, I waited.

- Well, - he said, after a pause. - Listen to me carefully.

- I'm listening.

- Tanya remain alive, but in return you, personally, you have to give a few things, or rather three, possessed by every man and who are its natural functions.

I sat motionless, he said loudly and clearly:

- You give hearing, vision, voice, and Tanya would be alive. That's all.

- This is your condition?

- Yes I Am. No other way.

- And how does this happen?

He patted me on the knee:

- Do not worry, you will not feel anything. If you agree, then tomorrow morning you wake up without hearing, vision and voice. No eye gouging operations will not. It's very simple.

He looked at me:

- But you do not have to agree. It is your right, your choice.

I said dully:

- I will not see nor hear nor speak. And what is left for me to do?

- You will live. As Tanya. Although ... - he tapped his fingers on wood benches. - She is very fond of you?

I said nothing. I was sure of her love, but who wants to love "living corpse»?

I looked around, now another look. God, why everything is so beautiful! I closed my eyes and tried to imagine the state slepogluhonemoty. This is terrible!

- Once again I say, this is the only way out - the old man said. - Otherwise ...

- Otherwise, it will die - I finished the impotence before the inevitable.

- Yes, on Monday, at six o'clock - summed up the old man.

He took my hand, noticing my state:

- I must tell you that you are not the first who faced with such a choice. And you know - he thoughtfully patted my hand - still no one wanted to sacrifice themselves.

I sat and seriously ill longing choked me. I closed my eyes, then opened them again, he began to speak not his strangled, a strange voice:

- You know, it's a very high price for me. And too much of a sacrifice. I love Tanya, but I can not ... It's so hard. I do not know ...

I tried not to look at him, but I felt that he stood up. Smoothing wrinkles on his cloak, he asked:

- This is your last word?

- Yes - I said quietly.

- Well, it's your choice. It was nice to talk with you - he looked at his watch. - I need something else with whom to meet. So, all the best.

- Goodbye - I said almost inaudibly.

He turned and walked slowly, gradually moving away from me farther and farther until he disappeared around the corner. I sat in a daze, I found it hard to breathe. I clenched my head in my hands, I wanted to cry. But it was impossible.

Everything happened as he said. Tanya died at six o'clock in the evening on Monday, hitting a car accident. All these three days, from Friday to Monday, I tried to communicate with her, avoiding her. Only on Saturday took place between us a short phone conversation in which we agreed to meet on Tuesday. It was hard to talk to her, and when she said that on Monday will go to visit a friend, my heart sank. She spoke, too, not very willingly, saying that a little unwell. Saying goodbye, she said she loved me and hung up. On Monday evening, when I already knew what had happened in my inbox, I found a letter from Tanya.

I read the letter, my hands were shaking. Having read it through, I long minute, stood motionless, and then began a strangled, sobbing heavily, drawing his shoulders.

"Darling, lyubimenky - she wrote. - I do not know when you receive this letter. But for sure when I will not be in the world. Oh, how hard to realize it! But I am calm by the fact that you are alive. You probably do not understand anything, but it's so hard to write. I cry ... I love, love you. Why is it going to happen and why us? ...

He came up to me on Thursday evening when I returned from the institute. Oh dear, dear, he knew all about us! An old man in a crumpled hat, but he knew that you gave me on the anniversary of our acquaintance - is no one knows! He told us about everything: how we met, and what our favorite movie, and where we rested last summer. He knew everything! And he said that you will die. Yes, you had to die on Saturday. At eleven o'clock in the morning, you would be hit by a car. So he said - oh, how I was worn out; I did not believe him! But he knew everything. He said that your death will be avoided - for that I must give my life ... Darling, forgive me, but I've been thinking, crying. I agreed. He said that I would die on Monday, he did not say how much ... I'm so scared! Today is Sunday - I'll die tomorrow. But you're alive, you will live; yesterday I could not stand it, call you - what a joy to hear you, know that you are! You have to live, I love you so much. But why so fast time flies?

It is evening. I do not see you. Never. Why are we ?! We have not yet done so. And I so wanted!

I was trembling hand ... Darling, I find it hard to write. Do not forget me. I will always love you.

Tanya. "

Tags

See also

New and interesting