Why bread in the USSR was so tasty and what happened to its quality in recent years

If I could go back to my childhood, the first thing I would try was bread. White, soft, fragrant brick. And it's imperative that breadcrustThat's the crunchy one. Anyone who has tried this bread will always remember the taste and aroma of this wheat bread made of high-grade flour.

“Bread is the head of everything,” says folk wisdom. And this is true, because natural bread carries a lot of useful substances. And let the representatives of healthy nutrition forgive me, but no snacks and rice breads will not replace the benefits of real wheat bread. Bread is not only a nutritious food, but also a necessary ingredient for normal hair growth, nails and clean skin. It’s not just about eating bread, it’s all about eating it.

Now, unfortunately, in supermarkets you can not find real bread. It has become completely tasteless and even its structure is completely different. Too many baking powders, emulsifiers, flavors, palm oil and other few useful substances in today's bread. Due to all this, bread has lost its weight, and the volume is achieved in an unnatural way. In bread, yeast is not used or little is used. And it is thanks to them that the bread is fluffy and useful. Natural sunflower oil was replaced by palm oil, but it belongs to technical oils unsuitable for consumption. And it is thanks to sunflower oil that this cherished crispy crust of bread is obtained.

And most importantly, it's flour. Wheat, rye, barley - the main ingredient of delicious bread. Flour must be of the highest grade and proper grinding. Now, unfortunately, it is difficult to find the right flour. It is mixed with various additives and other varieties. Because of this, the bread is not so lush and tasty. What were the fields in Ukraine before? All sown with wheat, rye, barley, corn, sunflower, buckwheat. The fertile land gave all its strength to cultivate such necessary and useful products for man.

Today, more and more people prefer to buy a bakery home. Arguing such a purchase by the fact that it is better to spend some money once, but please your family with good bread. In the store, it is much easier to pick up flour and yeast than to buy a loaf of ready-made bread. And some skilled housewives begin to experiment and add to the dough various seeds, nuts and mix different types of flour. This bread is very tasty, useful and with a crispy crust. It retains its freshness and aroma for a long time. And one loaf lasts much longer than a purchased loaf.

I really want to believe that soon the fields will again be plowing wheat and it will be enough to cook delicious bread. And on the shelves of stores, real fresh loaves will increasingly be sold according to standards and GOSTs. And we can experience that forgotten taste of bread as a child again. I really don’t want to stand in a long line for this bread. And to produce enough for all, even the most remote villages of our country. Do you want to taste your childhood again? Write in the comments what memories you have associated with a crispy bread crust.

Tags

See also

New and interesting