My husband’s mother married and left us her apartment, we already felt like owners, but my mother-in-law immediately besieged us.

“I can’t believe my mother-in-law has a new boyfriend!” complains Galina. She is experiencing not the best of times and is trying to solve the pressing housing issue. There is no need to wait for help from relatives. Although her husband's mother could have helped, she chose a different position. What happened and what is the next choice of the mother-in-law, read further in the article.

When I married Grisha, we didn’t have our own house. At first we lived with his mother, Oksana Petrovna. But very soon I realized that I would not last long under the same roof with this woman. No, no, my mother-in-law is a good person. But with its oddities.

For example, she’s crazy about the old stuff. And her whole apartment looks more like an antiques warehouse than an ordinary apartment for a comfortable life. At the same time, she does not like to clean, so all her treasures are always covered with a thick layer of dust.

It is useless to fight this, so I insisted that we rent our own apartment, though small. My husband works as a mechanic and I am an accountant. At first it was still good, but soon I got pregnant. There was no question of buying your home. So we kept getting along in the conditions we had.

I hardly talked to my mother-in-law. She was not one of those women who likes to give advice to their daughters-in-law and teach their lives. And to be honest, I really appreciated her for that. But she was always on guard: Oksana Petrovna could do anything.

That's exactly what happened. It didn’t really concern me at first. My mother-in-law suddenly had a new boyfriend. A small clarification: Oksana Petrovna is 61 years old, and her chosen one is 2 years younger - 59. They met at some retirement gathering and, as her mother-in-law put it, fell in love at first sight.

The man immediately asked her to move in with him. I must say that he lives well. He has his own country house and a small farm. Oksana Petrovna has long wanted to live closer to nature, so agreed to this offer immediately.

For the goodness of her soul, she suggested that Grisha and my baby move into her apartment. Of course, we were in favor. My mother-in-law lived in a good neighborhood. Secondly, we could save a decent amount of money and start saving for our housing. That's what they agreed on.

Only after a month of living in the apartment of my mother-in-law, I realized that it was very difficult for me. A lot of old stuff, a bad smell of mustyness and then down the list. Then an interesting thought came to my mind. Why don't we sell our mother-in-law's apartment to report our money and buy a better, newer home?

My husband liked the idea. My mother-in-law wasn’t happy about it. When she heard what we wanted to do, there was a cry: “Well, of course you did!” My apartment is a shrine. As long as I live, no one will dare to sell it. My grandmother used to live in this apartment. And how much beauty there is in it! Do you know where to put all this good stuff next?

“Throw it in the trash,” I thought involuntarily, but I didn’t say it out loud. Anyway, the idea of the apartment burned out. And now I don't know what to do. I don’t want my child to grow up in the midst of some rubbish and smell from the last century. How do you deal with your mother-in-law?

Life Wisdom and Editorial Advice We perfectly understand how Galina feels. However, we also believe that the opinion of Oksana Petrovna should be considered. Agree, the apartment belongs to her and only she can decide what to do with her. In addition, no one guarantees that the mother-in-law will not return home. After all, her new boyfriend may change his mind and not take a woman as a wife.

One way or another in this situation, you need to think not about how to save on an apartment, but about how to multiply your income. Perhaps Galina's husband should find additional ways to earn money, what do you say?

What would you do in Galina's place?

Tags

See also

New and interesting