When an amiable nephew comes to visit, I strictly enumerate what he must bring.

Life outside the city is full of hard work and fresh air. Grow a crop, harvest. And somewhere else to fix something, repair, tinker with chickens, melt the stove, bring water. And if relatives arrived So get the best out of the cellar and put it on the table.

There are GMOs in their town, poor people. Car exhaust breathe, live in concrete boxes and in general every second mental problem. Is it a village? Except the relatives are all relatively young, and you live alone, and you're over 60. So who do you feel sorry for?

All my life I worked at a factory in the regional center. And when it collapsed, I decided to move out of town, to the countryside. Living there is cheaper and finding a suitable home is much easier. I am 64 years old and all I want is peace. Both my daughters went abroad a long time ago. Sometimes we communicate on the Internet, but every year less and less.

As a city dweller, I started from scratch. I studied, talked to locals, even found some friends. Village people are simpler, but sometimes it is difficult to find a common language with them, especially on all sorts of trifles. For example, constant conversations about neighbors. You see, there is no habit of sitting on the Internet or even watching TV. I have 3 channels and I can’t watch them. Ears wither.

It was very difficult at first. Although I was not lazy, I was constantly tired and could not get used to the daily routine. It’s not a joke when they say you should get up at dawn and go to bed at 8:00. At the same time, so many things need to be done that sometimes the city ones seemed to me small, annoying children with their “complex” problems.

Again, relatives and acquaintances at first often called me, asked me how it was and if I needed help. But every year, dating became more strained, and relatives simply did not have time for an aging woman from some village there. Life went on and I became more and more an old woman. I even started wearing a headscarf.

But a couple of years ago my sister had a granddaughter. And how magically my nephews became interested in my aunt's health. Do not think that this is an inheritance. No, one day they just called and asked if I could come to me, relax, fry kebabs and just spend time with my aunt. Naturally, I agreed. I didn't know what it would turn into.

Everything was really great that time. I saw my family, and they showed me a frog. A small, defenseless and very smiling girl. A bright, sweet baby. I tried my best. She took out part of her reserves, did not touch the youth with questions, showed where the river was, where the best places for walking in our village. I've had a rest.

The next year they arrived without the baby – she was left with a nanny. The youth brought some treats, but they also brought audio equipment, alcohol and even sunbeds. Loud music, stuffed and mostly fed by me. In general, nothing bad: I do not eat much, I have plenty of supplies. The neighbors were not happy with the noise and started staring at me.

And last year was really bad. They did not bring anything to eat, only strong drinks. I came with friends who didn’t even say hello to me. All the days were very brazen and relaxed. They even had conflicts with the local youth. At the end, I was asked in a very disrespectful tone to take some of my preservation with me. And the berries were collected and the apples were so much that they were barely taken away.

I realized that now they consider my house their dacha. And for them, I'm just an old woman who needs a little attention, and she's just happy, stupid. Cook, prepare. And keep it clean when we get there. But that's not what annoys me the most. I just want peace and quiet in my house.

I did not give anything extra to my relatives. Let them take it, it'll still spoil. But I'm not happy with them anymore. Don't let them come back, I'm just sick of them. I guess I've really become an old grumpy grandmother, and let it stay that way. The relationship with my sister is strained now. After all, when everyone is home, she is not allowed to play with her granddaughter.

I think it's okay. Less baby screaming and crying. You can go about your business without being distracted. You can’t read a book, but you can watch a video about animals. Rest is important, of course. But without honest work, nowhere. And let relatives rest abroad. All the doors are open, why bother the old woman?

Tags

See also

New and interesting