What dachas meet in the Netherlands and what to do on them

The Netherlands (translated as “lowlands”) is a beautiful country where almost every meter of land is reclaimed from the sea. Therefore, the land here has become an invaluable resource, every scrap of which is taken care of and carefully used.

This circumstance imposed on the usual for us cottage 6 acres a kind of imprint, which makes the Dutch fazends are not at all like ours.

Today's edition. "Site" will introduce readers to typical Dutch dachas and try to figure out what the locals do on them.

Most of our compatriots use each visit to the country to build something, improve or ride in the garden until the evening.

You need to paint somewhere, lubricate somewhere. If you do nothing, you get a lot of problems over time.

And if you plan to have your own vegetables and greens, it is a daily job. “Rest” all day in the beds, and in the evening you fall dead, complaining of pressure and low back pain. Familiar painting?

In European countries, the situation is quite different. Country plots prefer not to buy, because it is a protracted and costly process, and simply rent. Such land in a couple of acres are more like mini-beds with houses for living and tiny extensions for garden equipment.

1. The first Dutch option for resting and growing crops is a small garden in the backyard.
    View this post on Instagram

. Sommardrömmar från Österlen är aldrig fel även om just denna vy känns otroligt avlägsen i början av mars. Idag ska jag fortsätta att greja i orangeriet och kanske baka en kaka, vi får väl se om inspirationen håller i sig. Ha en fin söndag alla! ??? Summer dreams from Österlen are never wrong, although this view feels incredibly distant in the beginning of March. Today I will continue to do things in the conservatory and maybe bake a chocolate cake, we will see if the inspiration holds. Have a nice Sunday everyone! #länsmansgårdendesign #sommarhus #österlen #sommaripeppinge #cottage #summercottage #cottagegarden #mormorsträdgård #fingerborgsblomma #digitalis #hortensia #hydrangea #annabelle #skånelänga #landet

A post shared by Trädgårdsdesign & Kurser (@karolinalansmansgarden) on Mar 1, 2020 at 12:34am PST

In the same garden, you can allocate a small piece of land for vegetables and herbs. Moestuin is a garden near the house. As they say, your home is your rule. The main thing is not to grow anything that would cause inconvenience to neighbors.

That's just the courtyards in Holland are small, it rains almost every day, and weeds grow - just have time to weed.

2. The second option is called volkstuin. This is a small garden in a garden partnership. Hundreds on 4, as a rule, with beds (note that often they are raised), sometimes greenhouses. They don't buy it, they rent it.

And for this you will have to be patient: to get the desired piece of land, you need to wait for your turn. Sometimes it takes years.

Depending on the size of the lease will cost several hundred euros. Separately, you need to pay for water, sewage treatment plants, insurance and membership fees of the partnership.

Jaaa, besloten mijn huisje voorlopig te houden. Maar dan moet het wel in mijn stijl! Helemaal blij. (Niet perfect geschilderd, maar het moet ook nog opgeknapt worden). Nu lekker lunchen. #tuinhuis #roze #paars #moestuin #joozesmoestuin #volkstuin #lunchen

A post shared by Jooze (@jooze_s) on May 16, 2020 at 3:53am PDT

Depending on municipal regulations, there may be buildings on the site: a greenhouse, a barn or a garden house. In some houses you can stay overnight during the summer period, which is issued by the municipality in the form of a separate permit. Of course, there is no need to talk about the bath here.

ROW COVERS- for me an essential part of the spring garden because they allow me to start sowing earlier, prevent transplant shock and protect plants from late frosts. I use different types of row covers, depending on the crops, and most also protect plants from pests. Currently under the covers: early potatoes, strawberries, broccoli, radishes, lettuce and mustard greens. Before, there was a cover over the broad beans as well. Even though lettuce and mustard greens are hardy enough to no longer need protection, I notice the plants under cover grow noticeably faster. There was a frost last night and there will be more in the net week so I hope the strawberry blossom and early potatoes will be protected. Do you use row covers too? If you'd like to know more, there's a whole chapter on season etension in my book Edible Paradise.

A post shared by Vera Greutink | Edible Garden (@growntocook) on May 6, 2020 at 6:29am PDT

What to do in a garden partnership? You can close to gardening or lie on grass with a glass of juice. The main thing is not to forget to take care of the site. After all, in garden associations, the rules provide for the exclusion of those who poorly care for the land. Even if they pay their dues properly.

3. The third option is vakantiehuis (holiday house). People come here to relax, go boating, fishing, and not to land.

Place near such a house can be enough, for example, for planting berry shrubs along the fence.

Of toch het terras aan het water. Plompeblad Giethoorn-Guesthouse. Geheel privé met eigen opgang. Midden in het oude centrum van Giethoorn. Welkom! #giethoorn #giethoornvillage #plompeblad #vakantiehuisje #vakantiehuisje #vakantieineigenland #vakantie #guesthouse #privevakantiehuis

A post shared by B&B Plompeblad (@bbplompeblad) on May 18, 2020 at 1:13am PDT

But the Dutch don't usually do that. Maybe the mentality is different, or maybe the rules forbid it.

What to do in Holland, I know now. And after such a tour, I begin to appreciate more the parent 6 acres, which seem to be a huge fazend. I also admire the fact that the hardworking Dutch have managed to make their small country a world leader in agricultural exports.

Tags

See also

New and interesting