Graham hill: Less stuff — more happiness

Writer and designer Graham hill asks: Can a person be more happy with less things on a smaller area? He argues for something to occupy less space, and offers three rules for editing your life.

Nineteen million eight hundred eleven thousand four hundred thirty three

0:15

What's in the box? Whatever it is, it must be important because I've traveled with it, moved it, from apartment to apartment to apartment.

0:26

(Laughter)

0:28

(Applause)

0:31

Do you know it? You know that we Americans have about three times more space than it was 50 years ago? Three times. You might think with all this extra space we now have more space for our stuff. Nope. There is a new industry, with a turnover of $ 22 billion and the size of 205 million square meters: the personal warehouses. So, we have increased our space three times, but we've become such good shoppers that we need even more space. What is it? More credit-card debt, huge environmental impact, and, perhaps not coincidentally, the level of happiness for the same 50 years has remained the same.

https://embed.ted.com/talks/lang/ru/graham_hill_less_stuff_more_happiness

1:18

So I'm here to offer a better option: less can mean more. I'm sure most of us at some time have experienced the joy of having less in College in the Dorm room, while traveling — in a hotel room, in a tent — to build something out of nothing, maybe on the boat. Whatever it is in your case, I bet that among other things, this gave you a little more freedom, a little more time. I hypothesize that less stuff and less space will be less impact on the environment. Actually, this is a great way to save money.And this to some extent will make your life easier.

1:58

To expand this topic and to find some great solutions in this area, lifeedited.org I started a project called Life Edited. First: collective work on my apartment area of 39 sq. meters in Manhattan with partners Mutopo and Jovoto.somne wanted it all -- home office, sit down dinner for 10, room for guests, and all my kite surfing gear. After reading 300 reviews from around the world, I found it, my own little jewelry box. By buying a space of 40 square meters instead of 55, immediately I'm saving 200 Grand. Smaller space requires less expenditure on utility bills, saves money and less impact on the environment. And, as it is really designed around an edited set of possessions -- my favorite stuff -- and really designed for me, I am very happy to be there.

2:52

So how can you live little? Three main approaches. First, you have to edit ruthlessly. It is necessary to clear the arteries of our lives. This shirt, which I hadn't worn in years? It's time to part with it. Cut out everything extraneous, and need to learn to stem the inflow. We must learn to think before you buy.Ask yourself: "am I really going to make me happier? Really?"Of course, we should buy and have nice things. But we want those things we will love for many years, and not just things.

3:29

Second, our new mantra: small is sexy. We want space efficiency. We want things were designed the way they are used most of the time, not that rare event. Why do you need a stove with six burners, if you use three and that is rare? So we need things that fit into one another, formed in a column, or would be in a digital format. You can take paperwork, books, movies, and to make sure that they will disappear — it's magic.

Seventy nine million one hundred ninety one thousand one hundred eighty six

3:57

Finally, we need a multi-functional space and utensils: sink combined with a toilet; a dining table becomes bed — occupies the same space; a bedside table stretches to seat 10 people. In this image, illustrating the benefits of winning Life Edited, we combined the moving wall with folding furniture in order to effectively use the space. Look at the coffee table -- it grows in height and width to seat 10 people. My office folds away, easily hidden. My bed folds out with the flick of a finger. Company? Move the moving wall, and we have two folding beds for guests. And, of course, my own movie theater.

4:39

I'm not saying we all need to live in 40 square metres. But consider the benefits of an edited life. 280 sq. meters can be replaced by 180 and 140 90. Most of us, maybe all of us, are well cost a couple of bags, a small space, a room in the hotel. So, when you arrive home and walk in the front door, take a moment to reflect and ask yourself, "Can I have a little changes life? Would that give me a little more freedom? Maybe a little more time?»

AS the number of items in the home affects the quality of your life

Anthony Robbins: 7 steps for SUCCESS in the coming year

5:12

What's in the box? Actually, it doesn't matter. I know that I do not need. What's in yours? Maybe, just maybe, less could mean more. Let's free up location for good things.

5:31

Thank You.

5:33

(Applause.)published 

Source: www.ted.com/talks/graham_hill_less_stuff_more_happiness/transcript?language=ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting