Immortal Russian romance, which reached number one in the charts in the UK

The song "long Road" was written in 1924 by Boris Fomin (music) and Konstantin Podrevskii (words). There is also a version of the text of Paul Herman. The earliest recording of this song was made by Tamara Tsereteli (1925) and Alexander Vertinsky (1926). The website offers the reader along to enjoy this delightful piece.

In the original, the romance this text:

Rode on a Troika with bells,
And in the distance flashed lights.
Oh, when would I want for you now
The soul would dispel from boredom!

Chorus:

Long road, weather, lunar,
Yes with a song that flies into the distance, ringing,
Yes, with old, seven-string,
That at night it hurts me.

Yeah, we sang for nothing.
In vain night after night burned.
If we did away with the old,
And night these back up!

Chorus.

In what other new ways
We go destiny!
Rode on a Troika with bells,
Yes, now passed long ago.

Chorus.

Anyone now I don't need me
And love past cannot be changed,
Since broken my life is sick
You take me to bury.

Chorus.

Mtv.samroman very soon gained an extraordinary love and has become quite popular among Russian immigrants. The reasons for this was the sincerity of the lyrics and melodies, and, as it seemed to emigrants, a clear anti-Soviet overtones of the words of romance.

But in Soviet Russia was declared a "white guard", and her performance could go straight to camp. A sad fate awaited it.

Constantine Podravski tragically died in 1930. He had the temerity to be late with the delivery of income Declaration to the financial officer, and Soviet Russia as punishment without trial, confiscated all his property. The poet ended up in the hospital, from which he did not.

The fate of composer Boris Fomin was more "happy", if it can be called "happiness". To write romances he is no longer allowed. In 1937, he naturally went to prison, but was among those few lucky ones who were released after the arrest of Yezhov. Forgotten by all, with poor health, he died in 1948, and now almost everything he has written hundreds of musical works, considered lost.

So Soviet Russia "thanked" the authors of the song. And the song was removed from life. Being banned for decades, it was completely forgotten.

In the late 1960's and early 1970's romance survived the second peak of popularity, it was performed by many local and foreign singers. What's the matter?

But the fact that in 1962 the American architect, writer and musician Eugene (gene) Raskin, whose parents were immigrants from Russia, he wrote new English words several changed the melody of the song "long Road" and recorded it under the title "Those Were the Days".

In 1964, the Ruskin speech heard Paul McCartney, who four years later, chose "Those Were the Days" for the debut single by the 18-year-old Welsh singer Mary Hopkin. The single for the song was released on The Beatles "Apple Records" 30 August 1968 and took 1st place in the British hit parade, which took 6 weeks. It is only in the twentieth century Russian song, which topped the hit parade in the UK. In the US the song reached 2nd place.

Then something about a song remembered in the USSR. She began to sing popular singers: Edward hill, Edita, Claudia Shulzhenko, Lyudmila Zykina. But the authors of the songs never mentioned — she was considered "popular".

And here is the English text:

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed rated away the hours
And dreamed of all the great things we would do

Those were the days my friend
We thought they d never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.
La La La...

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
We'd smile at one another and we'd say

Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
La La La...

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely woman really me

La La La...

Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same

La La La...

via izbrannoe.com/news/video/russkiy-romans-kotoryy-stal-khitom-1-v-velikobritanii/

Tags

See also

New and interesting