Why do you need to soak grains?

Soaking grains and what is Phytic acid

In my family we only soaked the peas. And even then, only for it to be ready faster.

About soaking grains, except rice for cooking risotto, I have never heard of.

I later learned that in India, for example, rice is always soaked before cooking.

And the beans and peas to many dishes can ferment in mounds a couple of days. In Russia, by the way, was always fermented the dough for the bread. And I think if you try, you can always find such methods of preparation of grains, cereals and beans in various cuisines of the world.

Russian cuisine is rich in cereals. Rice, buckwheat, millet, barley, oatmeal, rye.

And this is only a partial list. Already living in the States, I tried the quinoa, amaranth and wild rice.

Buckwheat porridge with milk and sugar was the most favorite dish of my childhood and I confess that I still love buckwheat. Millet porridge with pumpkin, cooked my grandmother, took the honorary second place.

It is hard to imagine the diet of the Russian people without any grits on the side. And I think that at least once a day You eat cereal in a food, whether it's oatmeal for Breakfast or rice for dinner.

And if You knew that the cereal grains, cereals, beans, peas, and even nuts contain Phytic acid which prevents the absorption of nutrients in our gut? And that the traditional procedure of soaking for a few hours or overnight is intended to disable this kisloty? But in our time, or rather lack of this time, people stopped paying attention to it.

Why soak grains?

Phytic acid attached to the phosphorus content in cereals, legumes and nuts and is the main store of phosphorus.

This acid is not digested and not absorbed by the body. And on top of that it has been proved that FC inhibits the intestinal absorption of Magnesium, Calcium, Iron and Zinc. Also prevents the absorption of fats and proteins, inhibiting digestive enzymes in the stomach.

World Health Organization calls Phytic Acid are the #1 cause of anemia. FC is also one of the causes of allergies and sensitivity to a particular food.

Phytase is an enzyme also present in cereals, legumes and nuts. It is activated by soaking, sprouting or fermented and degrades Phytic acid.

Without these above-mentioned traditional methods of preparing Phytic acid remains bound to minerals and not allow them to be absorbed in our intestines, which reduces the nutritional value of food and can lead to deficiencies of essential minerals.

How to soak the groats?

The process is very simple. All You need is warm filtered water, natural oxidizer (Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, kefir or yogurt) and time. I always try to soak the night before.

Method of soaking grains:

• the necessary quantity of warm filtered water to cover the grains

• 1 tablespoon natural oxidant to each Cup of water

Cover with plastic wrap or a lid. Don't put it in the fridge, and put in a warm place.

Try to avoid plastic dishes. Use plastic only if you know that it does not contain Bisphenol-A.

On average, for the activation of the enzyme Phytase is needed 12-18 hours.

Wild rice, white rice, buckwheat and millet contain the least amount of FC, so they can soak for 7-9 hours. Brown rice, by contrast, contains trubnoy shell, which contains the larger amount of fiber, exactly like a greater amount of Phytic acid, compared with white rice. In this, soak brown rice at least overnight.

The bran also contains a large amount of FC. In this, I do not recommend to use without a thorough soaking.

Some grains need soaking and for what period of time, You can read here.

Thoroughly rinse the groats after soaking. Don't forget that soaked grains cook faster.

Also, to deactivate the antinutrients need to soak the beans, peas, seeds and nuts.

Our ancestors always soaked, sprouted or fermented grains, grains, peas and beans. These techniques are required for proper and full digestion and assimilation of food. We, because of work and lack of time began to forget about this necessary for good healthy eating practices.

All you need to do is to plan in advance what kind of cereal You will be cooking tomorrow and soak it in the evening. All the work will make the time

Source: happyandnatural.com/zamachivanie-krupy-i-chto-takoe-fitinovaya-kislota/

Tags

See also

New and interesting