11 phrases that kill Your career

What better than to hold back in professional life, even if it is true, says the co-author of the bestselling book Emotional Intelligence 2.0, columnist for Forbes, Travis Bradberry.

There are things you should never say at work. Such phrases carry special power. By uttering them, You look bad, even if what you say is true. Worst of all, You will not be able to take them back if they already said.

I'm not talking about some shocking reservations, dirty jokes, politically incorrect statements. Often much more subtle remarks, exposing us incompetent or insecure, cause us much more harm. These phrases are so loaded with negativity that rapidly destroy Your career.

1. "It's not fair"

Everyone knows that life is unfair. To say "this is unfair" means that You believed that life should be fair that looks naive and immature.

If You don't want to put yourself in a bad light, stick to the facts, stay constructive and refrain from interpretations. For example, You could say: "I noticed that You gave Ann the project, which is hoped to take me. You will not be difficult to tell what pushed You to this decision? It would be interesting to understand why You thought I was not suitable, so I worked on appropriate skills".

2. "And we always did"

Technological changes occur so rapidly that even six months, some process may become out of date. The words "but we taksed did" not only make You look lazy and not willing to change, but can put things in Your head at the thought and I tried to do something to improve? If You really do things as they have always done, it almost certainly is a better way.

3. "No problem"

When someone asks You to do something or thanked for what You do and You reply "no problem", You mean that their request could be a problem. It makes people feel that they are something you burdened.

Better to do the opposite: to show people that You were happy to do the job. Say something like "it was my pleasure" or "I'll be glad to deal with it." It is a small difference in wording, but it has a big positive impact on people.

4. "I think..." / "Maybe it's a stupid idea..." / "I'm going to ask a stupid question"

These are too passive phrase instantly destroy Your credibility. Even if these phrases are followed by a brilliant idea, they indicate that You lack confidence and as a result, the people with whom You are talking to lose confidence in You.
Don't be your worst critic. If You are not sure what you are saying, and the rest are not sure. If You really don't know something, say, "I don't Have right now the necessary information, but I will get it soon and get back to You with a response."

5. "It'll only take a minute"

To say that something will only take a minute, undermines the value of Your skills and gives the impression that You are just in a hurry to end the task. If You do intend to finish the job in 60 seconds, then, of course, tell a lot of time it will take. But don't let that sound as if the task can be performed faster than it really can be performed.

6. "I'll try"

It's like "I think", it sounds too conditional and again it looks like You lack confidence in their abilities to cope with the task. Take full responsibility for your skills. If You're asked to do something, or do the request or offer an alternative. But don't say "I'll try", because it sounds like that You will not be particularly hard.

7. "He is lazy/incompetent/asshole"

There is no benefit in disparaging comments towards colleagues. If Your characterization is accurate, the rest already know about it, so there is no need to specifically indicate this. But if inaccurate, it is You look like a jerk.

Rude and incompetent people get caught up in any office, and probably, all already know who they are. If You have no real way to help such people to change for the better or to dismiss them, then You have nothing to gain from that point to their incompetence. It looks like a insecure attempt to look their best on their background. Your rudeness will inevitably come back to You like a boomerang — in the form negative opinions of Your colleagues about You.

8. "It's not in my job description"

This is often the sarcastic phrase sounds like You are ready to do only the mandatory minimum, under which You are paid a salary. And this is a bad idea if You value stability of employment.

If Your boss asks You to do something in Your opinion that does not match Your post (but not morally problematic), the best – willing to do this job. And then, arrange with your boss to discuss Your role in the company and should update Your working functionality. In this case, You won't look pathetic. It will also allow You and Your boss to develop a long lasting understanding of what You should and should not perform on the job.

9. "It's not my fault"

To handle the blame on someone else — always a bad idea. Carry the responsibility. If You like something — even a tiny way involved in the fact that something went wrong, answer for this. And if not, offer objective and impartial explanation of why it happened. Stick to the facts and let the boss and colleagues make their own conclusions, who is to blame.

When You start to point fingers, surrounding see in You a man who refuses to take responsibility for their actions. It causes people to worry. Someone will do to avoid working with You and others decide to strike first and start to blame You when something goes wrong.

10. "I can't"

It is almost the same that "it's not my fault". People don't like to hear "I can't", because it sounds like "I'm not going to do that." The words "I can't" suggest that You are not willing to do what it takes to get the job done.

If You really are unable to do something because You lack the necessary skills, offer an alternative solution. Instead of saying "can't", tell us what You can do.

For example, don't say "I can't stay up late". Say, "I can come to work early in the morning. Will you go?" Instead of "I can't do anything with these statistics" tell "I still don't know how to conduct this type of analysis. Can someone show me, and next time I'll be fine by yourself?"

11. "I hate this job"

The last thing anyone wants to hear is how someone in the neighborhood complains about how much he hates his job. Such actions characterize You as a negative person and reduce team morale. The authorities quickly catches skeptics who undermine team spirit, and your bosses know that there are always people that are configured more optimistic and ready to take over. published

Translation: Joseph Furman

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! © Join us at Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: ideanomics.ru/?p=4404

Tags

See also

New and interesting