Speak in English without mistakes! 15 expressions that can not be used.

If you learn English, you are very useful to this article. The difficulty of learning a foreign language is very often want to literally translate certain figures of speech, while in a foreign language has its own rules, which differ from the Russian quite noticeable. Read about these common mistakes that make the Russian-speaking people in the English language. This useful information helps you become more literate and improve their English.

1. «How» or «What»?

Wrong: How do you call this in English?

That's right: What do you call this in English?

The phrase "What's it called?" Is translated this way, it is not necessary to use a literal translation of the word "like» («how»).

2. The word «Normal»

Wrong: «How are you?» - «I'm normal, thanks.»

That's right: «How are you?» - «I'm fine, thanks.»

Resist the temptation to respond to and what are you doing "normal", as we used to do it in the Russian language. Indeed, in English it's different - the word «normal» means "average" or "not strange". That is, to put the question «How are you?» The word, you reported that you are normal and not a madman, for example. It is better to use the word «fine» and «good», even if this is not always true.

3. "Scientist» («scientist», «scholar»)

Wrong: Scientists study history so that humanity can learn from the past.

That's right: Scholars study history so that humanity can learn from the past.

«Scientist» - a highly specialized scientist conducting experiments, an expert in the exact sciences - physics, mathematics, chemistry. Whereas «scholar» - a broader concept, it can be a student of the humanities, or just someone who is well versed in a particular subject.

4. "City» («city»)

Wrong: I am from Moscow city.

That's right: I am from Moscow and the city of Moscow.

Most cities use the design «the city of». We can say nazvnie the city without using the word «city».

5. How to tell if you feel unwell

Wrong: I feel myself bad.

That's right: I feel bad.

Use of the word «myself» in this context means that you yourself physically touching your body and you feel as if ... Of course, foreigners will understand what you mean, but it sounds a little weird, and funny. Because recollect English grammar and talk about feelings without the notorious «myself».

6. «Do» or the «Make»?

Wrong: I think I did a mistake.

That's right: I think I made a mistake.

Use to do daily activities or work that does not produce a physical object. For example, do a job, do the shopping. Make expresses build and create something that you can touch - make food, make a cup of tea. Make money, do someone a favor, do business, make a decision, do good, make a plan, make a mistake - the exceptions that should be remembered.

7. «Place» or «Room»?

These two words mean "place". But «place» - a place in the sense of "occupied space", and «room» - is a free space, a space that can be occupied. Do not confuse them, please.

8. «Decide» or «Solve»

«Decide» means to take decisions and «solve» - to solve problems or issues. Depending on the context you need to choose the right word.

9. «I agree» («I agree»)

Wrong: I am agree

That's right: I agree

Do not forget that the word «agree» - is a verb. Wrong insert before him some form of the verb «to be».

10. «Free»

Wrong: I want to speak English freely.

That's right: I want to speak English fluently.

If you want to convey the idea that free still speak a foreign language, the word «fluent». «Free» means something that is not valued in the financial sense, that does not cost anything. When «free» is placed after the noun («smoke-free», «car-free», «alcohol-free»), which means that this thing or action is prohibited.

11. «Last time» or «Recently»

«Last time» - means "the last time" and "recently» - «recently». Avoid literal, literal translations.

12. «If» + «will»

These two words are never used together! Remember it. That part of the proposal contains a condition that must not contain «will» (despite the fact that there is a future in mind).
For example: «If it rains tomorrow (conditional part), I will stay at home (the main part)." ("If it will rain tomorrow, I'll stay at home»).

13. «No problem!»

Wrong: No problems!

That's right: No problem!

This expression, as well as several other - «thank God», «no comment» - to remember and use only in the singular.

14. «Teach» or «learn»

«Teach» - to give knowledge and «learn» - get them. Unfortunately, these two words are often confused.

15. «Must» or «have to»

«Must» is more confident in your own that something needed, and «have to» - a necessity caused by external circumstances. Formulate their thoughts correctly!

Let this article will help you make a more competent English language. Do not forget to tell your friends about these errors, let them speak properly!

via takprosto cc

Tags

See also

New and interesting