Homeless artist Gomel

This old man with a gray beard and intelligent smile in Gomel known to many. Artist Valery Lyashkevich writes his paintings in the open air. Have to work on the street for one simple reason: it does not have is not something that the studio, and even corner to sleep.

Meanwhile, hundreds of his works are in private collections around the world, and his name is entered in the Encyclopedia of Belarusian artists.

32 photos, text

Six months ago, the National Art Museum organized a personal exhibition Lyashkevich, about him made a documentary film, and journalists have written dozens of articles. After such a noise rumors that the artist has found patrons and now nothing needs and that he even offered to buy an apartment, but he refused. We met with the most famous homeless from Gomel and learned how he lives.

To at least something about it to understand, you need to know how it all began. In countless interviews Lyashkevich talked about his life more than once. Maybe that's why today he tells about the events of 40 years ago with some encyclopedic with nonchalance, even indifference.

- In the seventies, he left his native village to learn from the artist. He graduated from art school. Twice tried to enter the Leningrad Academy of painting - not to contest. When the second time did not went to the janitors at the academy. For one simple reason went: to be able to continue to live in St. Petersburg and a draw. After all, those who worked as a janitor, then let's housing. So, I gave little room malyu th-yusenkuyu. I just spent the night there. Everything else worked and attended courses at the academy and drew.

In the academy Lyashkevich never did. But his talent was noticed. Periodically in different cities were his personal exhibitions. And then the artist was called in the native Gomel. Who knew that the trip would be fatal.

- Gomel I had great success. Someone senior phoned Peter narugalsya yes, they say that you have such a talent, and you give him an apartment can not. When I returned, I got fired. According to the article, for truancy. Statements something, when I was leaving, not written. I am at work say, Come, applications do not need to. But it's got to do and nothing to do. Just did not want to give the apartment - that got rid of me that way. Yes, I understand them, there, in St. Petersburg, you know how many of these talents? Because not all provide shelter.

So in 45 Valery not only got an apartment, but lost his dorm room.

- At first I was not discouraged. Communicated with the same artists, painted on the streets and it earns. Pictures by selling their 5-25 rubles, aliens took on $ 5-10. Was I then free? I think not. - Freedom is when you can choose when and where you go. I have such a choice was not. Had to spend the night on the street, and in the raw, rainy St. Petersburg is easy. Decided to return to Belarus in the parental home. But there was already living with his family brother would not let me on the threshold.

After 20 years at a homeless artist all the same: Rollton eats, sleeps on a bench in the yards and stations, and draws - where necessary.

Today is Monday, and so on Soviet Lyashkevich again. On weekdays, there are more people than at the Kiev descent, consequently, the likelihood that someone will buy something higher.

For his work the artist asks the average of 300 thousand ($ 30). Buy infrequently, so you have to fend alms.

- Do not be ashamed to ask for?

- Shame - a bright flash of emotion. Since I'm asking for a long time, I'm not ashamed. It's just frustrating and humiliating. But I do not shikuyu on this money. For food storage so the camera barely enough. After all, I have no home, therefore, and the cabinet too. All my things and Pictures are stored in the storage room. During the day there is one thing we must get it, then the other - repeatedly opening and closing accounts. A single coin is worth 3800 rubles.

- If a little offer for paintings offended?

- No. Not yet Abramovich. People can, and in fact there is no money. After all, without a picture, you can live, but not live without bread, - says the artist.

- They say you wanted to buy a house, but you refused ...

- It is not true. Nothing nobody offered me. Women of the Department of Migration like a nursing home, then a boarding school for disabled me settle. Brought there, from what you see I just did not get a heart attack. One shakes, the other in a wheelchair, and the third is not in itself ... How can I work in this environment? It's better on the street.

Lyashkevich certainly disingenuous. On the street it is not better. Still '64 - is not the same age for overnight stays in the open. Manifest themselves acquired sores. Besides exhausting progressive persecution: the artist is sure that the security services want to poison him with some gases.

- Today night twice changed the location, so as not poisoned. Yet they in this muck products spiked. First I noticed that the coffee they added the drug, and now also in the bread. Who's immune system is strong, he still stands, and I had already weak, me they quickly euthanized.

But the sight of the artist brightens as soon as we are able to interrupt his obsession and move the subject. Talk about creativity.

- My work - it's not a picture with three slender birch trees, which can be hung over the sofa at home for beauty. My pictures for people to ponder over them, arguing near them, because often in dispute born truth.

He really wants to paint in oils and watercolors, but he is forced to do so pens and pencils. After all, at any moment might rain - and the work will be ruined. And in the sun for a long time not to expose them: burn out.

And so in the most daring, but has not yet been a dream come true Valeria Lyashkevich - not even find a house and workshop.

- If I had a studio, I would have painted his paintings there is not a pen and true colors. I could still create something worthy and bring people favor. And now, it turns out, empty life spend, - sighs wearily artist.

source

Tags

See also

New and interesting