The beauty of the cosmos or as I popular science lectures are

August 28 in Ufa antikafe «GoodZone» hosted a popular science lecture on "The beauty of the cosmos." And I want to bring to your attention the adaptation Habrapublikatsiyu lectures, as well as a short story about the technical aspects and the software that was used in the preparation and display.

The origins of ideas h4> If you want to go directly to the content presentation and read about its origin and technical aspects, click here .
There is such a wonderful person - Alexander Shaenko - developer of space technology, to create a community "Your space sector» and reading popular science lectures on space exploration. Originally lectures were in Moscow, but in the summer of Alexander had the idea to travel across Russia from Moscow to Kamchatka, lecturing on the way. Just recently, the project "Space from sea to sea" was successfully completed in the village volcano near Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.
I learned about this project by accident, when Alexander was already in Yekaterinburg. Moreover, Ufa, in any case was not in the plane of motion. It seems that you can start to get upset - we drove past the lecture. On the other hand, I had the idea to read like a lecture yourself. Still writing popular science publications Habré, and worked as a teacher for a long time, lecturing - it familiar and habitual. I contacted Alexander, he not only did not mind, but also offered to take as the basis of his lectures, placed in the public domain . The first lecture is to have a minimum threshold of entry, so the theme of "The Beauty of Space" was very appropriate. I strongly enough recycled material by removing quotes from science fiction and narrative unfolding direction - instead of moving "from space to Earth" received "from the Earth into space».

Technical aspects h4> I have not done a presentation, so the ability to add video was for me some news. Talk about beauty perfectly with the video, so it was good news.

The next question was playing the presentation. Plant for a trained computer person and command him: "Next slide, please" - it's still uncomfortable. Ideally, speakers should have an opportunity to switch to any slide in the presentation. At the same time, the rapporteur is better to stand, so an option to sit at the computer and press the buttons, controlling the presentation, too bad. So I spent some time researching the possibility of managing the presentation from a smartphone, the benefit of a large screen and high performance Galaxy Note 3 to make this idea very promising.

The first idea management devaysom presentation directly from your smartphone failed. Manufacturer promises the ability to wirelessly synchronize the device's screen and the TV broke about the lack of compatibility with this TV technology. The idea of ​​communication by wire HDMI-adapter required, not to mention the inconvenience of a wired connection for gesturing and moving lecturer. These problems concern and projectors. The situation was aggravated by software problems - on the smartphone has a good software that supports video presentation (POLARIS Office Viewer, is included in the base software), which, however, could not reproduce the presentation ODP. The attempt to export presentations in ODP PPTX led to the fact that the video of them disappeared.

In the search for software that could handle the job, I came across a soft «LibreOffice Impress Remote » developers LibreOffice, which makes the phone a remote control for your computer with the presentation. This option be the best - the computer is connected to the projector and your smartphone is connected by WiFi or Bluetooth with your computer and run the presentation. Bonus is the ability to display notes on the smartphone screen as hints at the demonstration and emulation pointers. According to the results I'm happy with the lecture method selected display.
The only problem surfaced - high demands on computer resources. Presentation of the video received around 500 MB, and on slower computers fell unexplained hangs, glitches and crashes. On more powerful computers, used for lectures, the error appeared only once, just in time for recess.

I hope my experience will be useful when creating your presentations.

Beauty Space h4> Space is firmly entrenched in our lives. Satellites provide connectivity, TV, internet, navigation, sensing. ISS crew moves forward science and helps the national economy. Automatic interplanetary stations provide us with information about what is happening on other planets. But besides all this space and more beautiful. Space technology is beautiful engineering excellence. On the ISS, satellites, and AMC are cameras that give us the opportunity to look at the beauty of space.

Rocket h5>

It seems to be a normal start-conventional rocket "Soyuz". If you do not think about that at the start of the thirty-two synchronously operating the combustion chamber operating at a temperature which melts the metal, and the only special engineering solutions protects the engine from damage. The control system supports nine minutes unstable equilibrium (try nine minutes to hold a pencil vertically on your finger!) And off-line, based on the data of the acceleration and rotation angles, ensures the highest accuracy (try closing your eyes, go nine minutes by car and drive into the garage size at 0, 5 cm more of your car!).

And in the next video camera placed on the same type of missile, the first time in 57 years fly rockets R-7 family. Very nice looks department four side blocks of the first stage and the drainage valve opening of the third stage after separation.

Generally, the space is very beautiful looks almost any release of liquid or gas. And if the rocket is lit by the Sun and the observer on the surface is already in the shade, beauty turns on the whole sky. This effect is called "jellyfish". Image Source - AstoForum .

Note the transverse band - is the next division of the second and third stages.

Third video chapter "Missiles" is also removed from the board of a spaceship taking off, but now it's "Space Shuttle».

Haze in the region of 45 seconds of flight - this is the effect of the transition to supersonic - air forms a shock wave, for which the pressure drops sharply, and the moisture in the air condenses into fog.

In orbit the Earth h5> The Earth is very beautiful looks from orbit. Here is a video from the ISS showing the city at night, the northern lights, lightning in thunderstorms:

// player.vimeo.com/video/61259040 video>

Generally, in the photo with the ISS can watch virtually endless. The main problem of this part of the presentation was to keep from too many pictures. Photo source - VC page Roscosmos .

ISS:

Thunderhead:

Clouds:

«Soyuz»:

Africa:

The Bering Sea:

Volga:

Moon h5>
 This - known photographer "Earthrise", filmed by astronauts "Apollo 8" December 24, 1968. Paradoxically, flight to the Moon, we discovered the Earth. And thanks to the probe Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter , which since 2009 has been in orbit of the moon, we can look at the reconstruction of the event:

And the following video is a stable shooting astronauts "Apollo 16". The camera was on the chest of the suit on a fairly rigidly attached, so the original video was shaking badly, but, thanks to modern software, we can see much more comfortable rides picture лунном car :

Mars h5> Now on Mars is very active "Encyclopedias" robots - three orbiters and two rovers, and two more machine on approach. And thanks to the probe Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter we can admire the beauty of the alien:

Victoria Crater, one of the goals of the rover Opportunity.

And it is impossible to show on the ground. Photograph the polar regions of Mars in the spring. Of carbon dioxide snow melts and turns into a gas directly, bypassing the liquid phase. Emissions of gas capture soil, brown "panicle" in the photo - is the emissions of gas geysers.

The following video shows a technically very complex process of landing the rover Curiosity. Video stabilized by software processing, which greatly enhances the viewing pleasure.

And this - the sunset on Mars. Because of the dust in the atmosphere it's blue. It seems to be a small thing, but it is impressive.

beyond the orbit of Mars h5> Fresh footage of comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko, shot probe Розетта</a, who flew to the comet as long as ten years.

And this is - a unique landing probe
Гюйгенс on Titan. Titan - the largest moon of Saturn system, the only one of the satellites of the solar system covered by an opaque atmosphere. Only lander could say that there is on the surface:

Reconstruction of the landing, you can get an idea of ​​what it looks like lander:

The Great Red Spot on Jupiter, the giant vortex larger than the Earth, shooting machine «Voyager 1» :

Hexagonal vortex on Saturn. His reproduced on Earth in tridtsatilitrovuyu capacity with rotating water placed rotating ring. At different speeds rings obtained oval, triangular, hexagonal, etc. vortices.

Video of pictures probes «Вояджеров» and «Кассини»:

// player.vimeo.com/video/40234826 video>

And then? H5> This video - Fiction. But still I hope that at least our descendants will see these pictures with interstellar probes or manned spacecraft. There is very often repeated in conversations about astronautics phrase Tsiolkovsky, she is very well-worn, but still better not say: "The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one can not eternally live in a cradle».

Materials with lectures h4> A couple of photos:

Link to the presentation. The use of popular science lectures is welcome .
Link to the presentation of Alexander Shaenko (also available for use) .

Video of the first part of the lecture. Unfortunately the second part, for unknown reasons not recorded. There are some chances of materials from another device, which also led record.

After the lectures were given feedback forms. 22 filled forms (lectures were under thirty people), to assess the content lecture 4, 54 5, the evaluation form of lectures (feed) - 4 59. Judging by the reviews, the audience liked it, there were several requests to continue this initiative.

Special thanks to antikafe «GoodZone» , which made the audience free stay at the lecture.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/235057/

Tags

See also

New and interesting