Device for barbecue turned bomb

Residents of Scotch Egg Island for many years used the surface covered with the sand iron ball as a means for a barbecue, placing it on food and other things. As it turned out recently, handy thing turned bomb during World War II.

5 photos via.

For many years, the Scottish family spend a barbecue near Named sand iron ball, considering it harmless craft, cast ashore on the coast. Holidaymakers used its surface as a makeshift table to put things and products and bred near it fires. Children are also not overlook protruding boulder fun and frolicking around him.
Recently, however, a strong wave of bank and showed that under the sand is not an old buoy that has become a favorite toy of kids, and a bomb during the Second World War. This shocking discovery made graphic designer Ben Cormack (Ben Cormack), whose father lives 100 meters from the beach.
"I came to visit his father and then took a walk to admire the views. However, when I came to the edge of the water, then immediately forgot about the purpose of his forays - right in front of me was a huge object resembling a sea mine - says Cormac. - Then I realized that winter storms washed deep pit and a fully exposed object, which we considered old buoy and therefore often planted near it fires. Of course, I was not sure of the correctness of their guesses, but had trouble, because this subject is far from the door of the family home. So I sent photos of the iron ball to the email address of the police. They called me back within an hour and confirmed my worst fears, reported that immediately will be engaged in the disposal of the explosive device. "

After the evacuation of the inhabitants of nearby houses, experts examined the bomb during World War II, relating to the form of high explosives, and was relieved to know that her body is full of sand, not explosives, reports the Mirror. Then a team of sappers defused munition committing a controlled explosion.

"Later I was told that this mine was used during the Second World War to protect sea lanes from German submarines and warships. Usually they are found with an explosive "stuffing", so the police were very concerned about the fate of living near the beach, the people, "- said Ben Cormack, poses with her dog near the bomb residue.

Tags

See also

New and interesting