Restoration moped "Riga-11" 1977

My first post. I'll try not to bungle.
38 photos + comments

What is «Riga-11"? A failed attempt to introduce "the masses" of the new design, "the ugly duckling" comes from the past, or an interesting, attractive in its own way an original moped?
The answer for everybody.
The set on the conveyor in 1976, she became the first production model with spinal frame in our country and replaced the model of «Riga-7."
Steel Wheels stronger by increasing their cross-section 2, 25-19 and strengthen the rim. This required the displacement of the engine on the left to 7mm location master and slave star in a single plane.
New seat with increased pad was much easier than before. In addition, the volume was increased seatpost box allowing to carry large number of tools. Small changes were fork and rack of the moped.

1. April 26 2011 Anatoly, a colleague of my grandmother's work, presented moped Riga-11.

According to some reports, the model was planned to install the engine with automatic clutch, but tests have arranged this situation differently.
The updated frame turned out, does not durable, and the fuel tank mounted behind, did not allow to overcome the protracted rises on the remains of fuel. The length of the trunk limited serving a carrying handle.
In 1983 and 11 models found a replacement. There was a popular and the most massive "Riga" by the number "13", produced until the closing of the plant in 1998.

Engine Specifications D6
Engine Type single-cylinder, two-stroke,
Bore, 38 mm
The working volume of the cylinder, 45 cm, 4
Maximum power at 4500 rev / min, l. from. 1, 2
Idle speed, rev / min, not more than 2,600
Fuel consumption per 100 kilometers at a speed of 25 km / h on flat highway, l, not more than 1, 8
The maximum speed of 40 km / h
Carburetor K34B
Engine lubrication oil, added to gasoline
The source of electricity magneto

2. State of more than deplorable. Moped not start.

Traditional signs of "tuning" Scooter the time:

-Replacement Seats for passengers;
Installing the rear wheels 16 of the two-speed moped instead of the native 19-inch to increase traction;
-Dorabotka Ignition coil through the use of remote as the later engines D8 for normal, bright light devices work;
-Pokraska Individual elements of "beauty" in the absurd, inappropriate color;

First of all, get rid of the pedal drive and welded pipe, but I was lucky and the element is preserved.

3. Chinese fog behind which you can see the label with the part number and year of manufacture.

4. "Excellent" handle adhesive tape and non-native lever cutoffs of coupling.

5. Just about this painting and I talked about earlier. Carefully remove it, I got to the yellow zinc factory, which almost lost its kind.
Also in the photo I want to mention an unusual design cover cutoffs of coupling. At the time, I suffered from shortages of parts and many had tinkering itself.

6. The single-speed moped headlamp housing has not changed for all time release.
This - from a later model of "Riga - 13».
So far it has not been applied a modified ignition system was put in "choke" - coil, which stabilized the voltage generated by the motor.

7. Initially, I was going to paint a moped from the cans.
Such paint and soil, as a rule, easily cleave, and do not stick to the bare metal.
Saves the application to the strong, native cover.

Here the frame is already prepared and cleaned chips.

8. Removal of minor defects on the gas tank.

9. Home tire.

The first tire in draft special means.
The second simply washed off.
The third is waiting for their turn.

10. assembled from several wheels.

1) polished drums
2) set the most smooth rim
3) eliminated "eight" by evenly tightening the spokes.

11. A guard circuit, which is a rarity. In later models it had a similar, but it is not suitable.
At home these mopeds are special organizations offering Novodel parts, and we have, in the absence thereof, had to rely on luck.

Searched for six months and was pleased, even such a state.
The photo has welded bottom "eye" fixing. With this I was helped by my father at work, because we have nothing to cook in the garage.

12. Long straightening, cleaning out the rust and then fill "craters" putty.
He is applied and processed ten times.
The hardest part of the preparation.

13. The moment of truth:

I threw cans, got a new gun, and began to study the technology for the first painting in my life.
The subject was the front fork.

Grunt «Novol», Base «Mobihel» metallic paint «Dynacoat HS».
Color "311 Iguana." A copy of factory original.

14. Wings in the ground. Option is not final. The goal - to identify missed dents.

15. It is still paint cans ...

(bottom mokik "Riga-22 1982g.v.)

16. Savings and decided not to repaint the frame. The balloon.

17. Ready-wing and traverse fork.

It is an indescribable feeling shine! Damage to the paint cans looked the same, but only at the time of painting. When dry - the beauty lost.
Given the lack of experience, the result pleased. Orange peel no, it does not have to be polished. (In any case, nothing)
Luck keeps hitting a metal object in which the primer and paint cans from cleaved to the metal.

18. The long-suffering plate chain is finally ready.

19. This "perfect" shine frame, painted cans. Moped at that time had already assembled 95%.

20. Install the native, the lower wheel.

21. accidentally hit another frame, too, in 1977.
I decided that this is a chance.

I searched for sandblasting, but when they heard about the moped, was sent away and told to work with brushes on a drill.
For complete cleaning it took about a week. Paint remover could not cope, and the brush is not slipped up in hard to reach places. We had to clean by hand.

22. In addition, the frame found the original kit rezinochek, not mine, "farm", which is on the left.

23. To facilitate the painting was drilled and screwed into the ceiling hook.

24. Getting painting.

25. Voila! The most difficult element is ready.
I danced around the details for a long time. Thin tubes had to paint all sides, leaving no gaps, and the hinge lacquer colors.
And I did it! No sag, even layer.
Unlike other green parts here and has on the muffler varnish "Mobihel" because "Dinah" was over.

26. "Riga" was again dismantled and parts quietly "moved" to a new frame.

27. And now, my Rizhanka ready.
In front of sea trials!

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting