Homemade legend: Audi Quattro A2

The situation in the auto parts store:

- Do you have a steering rack to the Audi Quattro?
 - What is the Audi model you have in mind? A4, A6, A8?
 - I just Quattro ... Audi Quattro.
 - Are you kidding?

22 photos, some videos and text

What other jokes? Vzmetaya clubs snow, our eyes on the ground sideways rushes legendary car. Who would have thought that we can find it in the Belarusian town of Borisov! Today, the "blue-eyed» Audi Quattro can be counted on the fingers of one hand, what can I say about the sports version of the A2, on the grounds that was built this car? Owner Alexander crimson Audi Quattro A2, with their hands to revive the legend of the global automotive industry.

By car and our "pokatushki", which resulted in the legend cracked radiator, we will come back later, but for now - a brief history of the victorious concept of all-wheel drive Quattro.

In January 1978, Ferdinand Peha, at that time chief engineer of Audi, first demonstrated a prototype all-wheel drive folksvagenovsky superiors Project Al, the prototype of the future coupe Audi Quattro. Then the experimental vehicle with bodywork Audi Coupe, 180-strong overpressure "five" and a modified transmission from the small SUV Volkswagen Iltis army stormed the pass Tyuraher Hoe - the most slippery road Alps. Also worth noting Ferdinand Peha merit chassis engineer Jorg Bensingera, "scratch" passenger car and a modified transmission army SUV.

The authorities do not particularly believe in the success of all-wheel drive cars. But in the eyes of the astonished VW sales director Dr. Schmidt prototype with the free center differential on summer tires without tire chains easily climbed the snow-covered 23-percent rise! Subsequently, this trick will enter the famous commercial with the Audi 100 CS Quattro, which will rise on a ski jump. The "update" video, released in 2005, Audi A6 4.2 Quattro all the calls in the same jump that won 25 years ago by his predecessor.

By the end of 1980 Audi Quattro went on sale. Coupe with a "faceted" design, permanent all-wheel drive and a turbocharged 200 hp It became a bestseller. In many ways, this contributed to the success of the sport. The debut model in motorsport rally held on January 1981 in Austria. In 1982-1984 gg. Quattro has won four titles in the WRC. Following the success in the rally program was started racing circuit, where the concept of Quattro once again proved its superiority: Audi drivers took the most prestigious awards in the United States and Europe. Coupe instantly became a bestseller, but produced in very small quantities. In the 1980-1991. It was released 11,452 copies of all versions of the car. Evolution of the A1 and A2 are the result of the rally program Audi's WRC (as we know, to participate in the world championship release required homologation batch of cars). This rally version of the Audi Quattro A2 was 350-370 hp under the hood, the exterior of the vehicle is not characteristic of civil air intakes on the rear fenders, "inflated" with plastic body panels and a high spoiler.

Of course, such a machine to recreate in a completely original form, using factory parts, today is probably unrealistic. Most of rally cars produced very limited series, is simply broken, "civil» Quattro too little. Therefore, Alexander built a car out of the fact that he could find. Many details had to make on their own. Objectives recreate authentic vehicle had no beginning, and besides, the A2 is constantly modernized ... But in general, the exterior and specifications are almost identical to the rally Audi Quattro A2.

- I have a lot of what went on, on different vehicles, different motorcycles, - says Alexander. - For many years, street racing has organized and participated in it. When dashed off in plenty, I come to understand what I want - a car that will be afraid. Yes, modern cars go fast, but you're not afraid of them - the system of variable valve timing, variable turbine geometry, Electronic Stability smooth all the emotions of the machine. Here the power of naked, bare drive. No stabilization systems, ABS and all the excess. In addition, Audi Quattro rally in the performance of insanely beautiful. So I decided to build such a machine, while trying to make it more or less suitable for everyday driving.

Three years ago, Alexander found in the village of Berezovka that near the border with Lithuania, Audi Coupe. The car was parked under a tree, in the cabin - piles of garbage, under the hood to keep everything on the tape and wire, the seat just lay in the cabin. But the car with the engine 1.6 under its own power reached Borisov.

- At first I studied device rally Audi Quattro. He collected drawings, photographs, history. Very little information, in Russian there is nothing. Body Audi Coupe bought three years ago for $ 200. And began to live in the garage, doing construction cherished Quattro.

Today, the five-cylinder under the hood 2, 1-liter engine from Audi. In the same power plant was completed with the original Audi Quattro. Installed turbine Schwitzer, developing a pressure of 1, 5 bars, an electronic engine control unit Megasquirt. The work done by the giant, many details such as the exhaust manifold, rail injectors wiring were made independently. Leafing through the logbook of the car is simply amazing technical talents of Alexander and labor for the construction of the car.

Constructor programs alone electronic control unit.

- Features the original K-Jectronic limited. With Megasquirt can achieve a large increase in capacity. All have been programming yourself. It is not an easy job, just does not work, you need experience. Rated power of the motor car today is about 350 horsepower. Yet not tested, I'll go in the summer. However, it is theoretically possible to increase the power and squeeze out all the engine 400 forces. It all depends on the settings. By the way, the flow rate in the city is only 15 liters per 100 kilometers, but in training "appetite" is not moderate.

Transmission of the Audi Quattro was found in Minsk and is integrated into the Audi Coupe. There are positive locking and rear axle differentials. The central differential has only forced the lock, the rear can be blocked by 75% in the automatic mode or 100% manual. Transmission 5-speed, with the convergence of gear ratios, like the rally version of the car.

- To realize the full potential of sports Quattro body had to be strengthened, - says Alexander - because when sliding the machine load to the body high. Even in a car with struts I opened the trunk lid from the deformation of the body. In good we need a framework, but for everyday city driving is uncomfortable. Therefore, the body will undergo maximum gain with the help of braces, provarkoy factory seams and other reinforcing elements.

Plastic fenders, hood and spoiler are made "under the original form" rally Quattro.

- Who made them - is unknown. It is the only such a kit in Belarus. Wings found in Cherven, hood and spoiler - in Minsk. Probably, someone bought abroad yourself this kit, and then sold it. As a result, body parts scattered around the country, and I brought this set back. In general, as you can see, an interesting story turned out. I thought, "sculpt" their own, so I was lucky with the bodywork. But that's why the hood of the t-Quattro S1 ...

Suspension of the standard Audi Quattro, with reinforced levers. Front and rear independent circuit with racks McPherson. On the metal at the time did not save, it is felt that the car was created to participate in the rally.

According to Alexander, the original interior had to be abandoned - interior elements of the car today is not found. A "native" digital dashboard will cost a fortune! The car was planned for everyday driving, so Alexander needed a comfortable lounge with another instrument panel, steering wheel and leather seats.

We now turn to what happened.

- This car is difficult to control, - tells about the peculiarities of "taxiing" Alexander. - Turn the steering wheel - the car does not turn and going straight. So here you need to take turns in the side slip otherwise just flies out of the demolition of the front axle. Audi Quattro need to "prick", a long time learning the skills cornering than I'm doing lately.

The weight distribution of the car is far from ideal: too much weight in the front, which is why the car stubbornly going straight when you turn the steering wheel - there is understeer model. But in the "imprisoned" in the hands of the all-wheel drive car is able to take turns in the lateral slides very, very quickly. Acceleration in a straight line - an important advantage Quattro: it takes only 5 seconds to develop the covenant of 100 km / h. Incredible acceleration! And up to 4000 rev / min Machine "does not go", and then - literally "shoots».

Oh, we would gruntovochku, but to understand the habits of peace in the Quattro, which used the victorious pilots Stig Blomqvist, Walter Röhrl and Michelle Mouton. But respect for the car outweighs our drayverskogo itch - it is necessary to return the entire owner. So we get along in a straight line acceleration and "slicing" laps around the site, which also brings great pleasure. Permanent four-wheel drive, snow - this is the formula of happiness. Honestly, there is no more beautiful story in the world than a story about how to manage the legendary Audi Quattro in the side slides in the winter: snow clubs, the roar of the engine! Michelle Mouton, the only female winner of stages WRC, argued that for a lifetime remember the sound of the engine. Remember it, and we - the engine sounds really unusual ... Stop the car!

In one of the bends from under the hood knocked pairs. Cracked radiator cooling liquid spilled around the engine compartment ... So unharmed owner of the car, we still have not returned, had to unwind the tow rope. In this test drive the legendary car over, but his story - not. The plans of the owner to continue to improve their offspring.

Posted in [mergetime] 1391434372 [/ mergetime]

- Plans to bring the body in perfect condition, put the carcass may pick up another engine - finally shared Alexander. - And train - to comprehend the secrets of Management Audi Quattro. For me this all the buzz. Behind the wheel you understand that if the cutoff to unscrew the two programs, the trip can quickly and end badly. Here, a constant risk. Perhaps this makes me ride the Audi Quattro.

source

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting