10 things I learned in Taiwan

Taiwan - it is quiet and picturesque island in the Pacific Ocean spread out and live there the same Chinese government alone more. Under the cut you see through the eyes of Taiwan Zach Schwartz - a young blogger living in New York. For many years I have not traveled outside the country. Most of my life I lived in Ohio, recently moved to New York, and in January of this year, I had a short time to visit Taiwan. There my mother grew up, and we went to see his family. The last time I was there eight years ago. Then I was sent to Taiwan to live with his grandparents for bad behavior at school.
During this trip I took things differently, as if to be here for the first time (probably because that just matured). I noticed things that had not paid any attention. Upon arrival at the airport, I thought, "Well, what I do here?" However, ten days later I left Taiwan, already more mature and wise man with all my heart fell in love with the East. Here are some of the things that I've learned.
Good attitude to the Americans
When we arrived at the airport, we had to stand in long lines to go through customs. Before us there was a huge number of people with yellowish complexion, characteristic of the inhabitants of South-East Asia. Just as soon as we were approached by customs officers and asked to go to another hut, where there was no queue. We are pleased to have agreed. Behind us was followed by two white men and more than one. My dad said that, apparently, they just wanted to please us Americans. I thought, around the world people are two ways to the people of the United States - some want to kill us, others are trying to do everything, so we were satisfied. In Taiwan, we were treated well, apparently, because they wanted to bring to the island more American tourists and investors.

Most of the territory of Taiwan is uninhabitable
On the way to the house of my grandparents in Taipei, we drove past the green mountains covered with abundant, dense vegetation. Mom said that such a landscape typical for the majority of Taiwan. 3/5 of the island is uninhabitable due to the steep mountainous terrain. As a result, Taiwan is a highly developed and densely populated country. It could not affect on society - during my stay there, I noticed that people treat each other politely and respectfully, probably aware of the precariousness of the economic situation on the island, and in the world as a whole.
Wild dogs running around everywhere
The house of my grandparents we arrived early in the morning when everyone was still asleep. My dad and my sister decided to take a walk in the park by the river. We crossed the bridge and saw a pack of dogs, frolic near the water. I asked my father: "What's happening?". He told me that in Taiwan is full of stray dogs, who threw home. My sister and I decided to get closer to the pack. From a distance, dogs seemed so sweet and docile, but as soon as we approached them, they seemed enraged, began to bark and catch us when we took to his heels. We also saw a lot of rare breed dogs Shiba Inu. I sfotkal one in the park.

How to communicate nonverbally
Unfortunately, I do not speak Mandarin, and my grandparents did not know English, so communication with them I had to use non-verbal means, often touching. When I hugged them, or simply holding hands, they smiled. But there were other things. I remember I wanted to show my grandmother one magic trick. I chose a card, showed it to his grandmother, put back into the deck and shuffled her well. Then I deliberately pulled the wrong card. Grandma looked at her, shook his head and was about to leave, but at this point I stopped her, put a card on her hand and made sure that she accidentally fell to the ground and "transformed" in the map, which the grandmother has chosen initially. She raised her hand and looked at me. I even thought that it knocks me right now. Her expression changed, his eyes brightened, and she just slapped me on the shoulder and laughed. "Very good, very good," - she said in Chinese, banishing me from the kitchen.
Good food - this is part of the culture
Food in Taiwan is almost always healthy and delicious. My uncle told me that because mostly all women in Taiwan are preparing well for restaurants highly competitive, as most people prefer to have lunch or dinner at home. My grandmother was no exception. Every morning she brought fresh food and cook it three times a day. When it comes to America, I am often asked why we have such a heavy meal and the portions are huge. In response, I just shrug my shoulders, because I do not even know what to say about it. Many Americans think that if they order fast food in portion of salad and drink Diet Coke, it is a healthy diet. Travel to Taiwan, and you will understand how very wrong. There really know what a healthy lifestyle.

Source: thoughtcatalog.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting