NASA celebrates the anniversary of one of the most important photographs ever made by man

This week, NASA said the 45-th anniversary of the shooting «Восхода Earth »: fascinating photos of the Earth rising above the lunar surface. This picture - one of the most important that ever did NASA and made it in 1968 on board the ship "Apollo 8".

Then, on December 24, three astronauts - Jim Lovell , William Anders and the crew commander Frank Borman - captured the imagination of the American nation, as were the first people who made a manned mission to the Moon. During its flyby William Anders took the photo that would become one of the most iconic in the history of mankind.

Jim Lovell , one of the aforementioned astronauts celebrated anniversary in Чикагском Museum of Science and Industry . The governor of Illinois, Pat Quinn said about it so: « I hope that this event will inspire a new generation of researchers » i>.

Jim Lovell in the center, Pat Quinn shakes hands with him. B>

NASA published a series of films about shooting photos and accompanying events. We should also mention the episode when the camera caught an image spotted by craters of the moon, while the astronauts read verses from the Bible that describe the creation of the world. "Apollo 8" circled the moon 10 times, with the last astronauts were read the Book of Genesis and the first 10 Commandments.

«This is the foundation of Christianity, Judaism and Islam, i> - commented on the choice of Genesis Jim Lovell It is the basis of most world religions. All of them are based on the Old Testament ». I>

Subsequently Frank Borman said that the appearance of the Earth hanging in the void of space, still remains one of the most exciting events that happened to him in space. «We looked over the lunar surface - and there was the Earth, i> - tells the commander, - and it was so beautiful with its variety of colors. I think all three of us were then ecstatic. " I>

It should say that the first such photograph was taken by a «Лунар Orbiter-1 » in 1966, became the first American artificial satellite of the moon.

P.S. One of the above films can view / download link . Do you think the Americans flew to the moon? [Poll by Demphest]
course. Nope. Only registered users can vote in polls. Sign , please. 1840 people voted. Excused 284 people.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/207540/

Tags

See also

New and interesting