Josef Koudelka. Invasion 1968

In late August 1968, invaded Czechoslovakia 200,000 troops and 5,000 tanks of the Warsaw Pact. Resistance Army did not have. The Prague Spring was strangled. Democratic reforms, which began Dubchik and his associates have been canceled. During the invasion killed 72 people. These events are shot now known photographer, a member of the agency "Magnum" Josef Koudelka. Em>
Before that, he worked in a newspaper, engaged in commercial and shoot Roma. When Soviet troops entered Prague, he took my camera and went out into the street. Friends had warned him that the Russian fire without warning on all who see with the camera. But Koudelka decided. "I came back from Romania, - said the photographer - where they filmed the Gypsies, and my girlfriend called me a few times to let you know that there comes a Russian. I opened the window and heard every two minutes over his head fly airplanes, and I realized that there will be something big. I am lucky that I have left the film, I went out to the streets and began to photograph the tanks and soldiers. People said I was crazy, because Russian shot at everyone who saw the camera - and I was standing right in front of tanks! A few years later the photographer Ian Berry, who also filmed the events, said that when he saw me there, thought I was a complete idiot, or very brave. But it was not courage, I just wanted to take off. " Koudelka was not killed, and it will not shoot, but then he had to smuggle the film across the border. Report released without specifying a name. Soon he himself left the country in the number of three hundred thousand immigrants, mainly of highly skilled professionals.

journal.foto.ua/kunstkamera/jozef-kudelka-vtorzhenie-1968.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting