My daughter asked me to give her a car for the anniversary, but when I saw her, I decided to give her something else.

A great holiday for him and for her: relatives, friends will gather. It'll be fun and loud. That's a good reason. But What to give for your wedding anniversaryIf you don't think the gift you ordered is honest enough? At least for one of the spouses.

Should you do as you see fit, or just silently hand over what you asked for? Perhaps in most cases, guests should be more compliant, this is not their holiday. But for the mother-in-law, this rule does not work. This is the person who will always decide what, to whom and when to give. At least that is the case in most of our families.

When you raise one child, especially a daughter, you try your best to improve the quality of his life. My husband and I realized this almost simultaneously. Marina was a late child, and I knew I would have no more children. So, even lying in the ward in a rather unstable state, I still repeat the same thing through sleep: buy expensive diapers and mixtures, do not save, please.

I will not accuse my husband of greed. Especially after so many years after his death. But he had one such masculine trait. Some people call it thrift, but it is also necessary for someone to monitor the family budget. He worked as an accountant, so who else had to do the calculations. But sedentary work and constant stress have done their part.

In connection with this event, I had to decide what to do next. I had a job, but it didn’t seem to make enough money. On the advice of a friend from the institute, I decided to fly to work in the UK. I knew the language well, and the prospects for me there were more than tangible.

The daughter stayed with her grandmother. But I sent them money every month so they wouldn't feel abandoned. I wanted Marina to learn from the best, eat well, look good and not feel any discomfort. So I especially liked to follow her progress, even through the laptop monitor. At the age of 15, we spoke fluently in English. And she even then shared with me thoughts about which university would be better for her and why it was.

As you can see, I was hoping to make her, if not a businesswoman, then a stylish lady who knows her worth, for sure. I myself continued to work in the same place, and believe me, the money earned for my daughter and mother was given to me with great difficulty. However, this is probably how it should be, if you are a loving parent who wants to give your child only the best.

But life has made adjustments to my plans. And it didn't work out the way I wanted it to. As the years passed, the daughter fell in love. The relationship escalated into something more serious and she and her boyfriend got married. I liked Maxim, basically, a nice guy. How was I supposed to know him? A couple of video calls and a personal conversation when I arrived at their wedding didn't really change anything.

A year after the wedding, I became a grandmother, which I was very happy about. She threw her daughter on a money card, so that their general budget did not become too shallow, gave all the advice on motherhood that only she could remember. In general, she shared with Marina what she considered necessary. Telling an adult was not in my habit.

And for their wedding anniversary, I planned to come back for good. You can’t make all the money, and I didn’t see the point anymore. There's an apartment, savings too. What else do I need? Only the happiness of the only daughter and grandson. But as a graceful final curtsey, I decided to give Marina a gift: something she wants. Not money, but something good for the family.

I remember she said to me almost immediately: a car. A car for a woman with a child who has no rights. So I thought, why did she choose her?

Despite my best efforts to make my daughter an independent person, who is not afraid of any economic hardships, Marina chose a family. Higher education turned out to be a pumpkin, which absolutely did not mean anything and did not bring any benefit. Well, she had no problem with English. It is only on my initiative to continue to communicate with her sometimes in another language.

After the birth of the child, the daughter passed well in terms of appearance. I'm well, I'm sick. Teeth are another reason to worry. But Maxim, on the contrary, felt very well. I went to the gym and ate right. And that's after he got his pay cut. Apparently, his priorities are different.

And then I understood. He doesn't need the car. She wants to keep him near her child. A man with fake muscles and a reduced salary. Of course, there was no question of any car. What kind of man is he to be lured to his own family?

For my wedding anniversary, I came in the best shape I could. Nice clothes, expensive makeup. Young people looked into my mouth all morning. Right up until the present ceremony. I didn't let the envelope out of my hand, which was pretty flat. It could seem that there were small keys or some kind of gift agreement.

But there was something else in my envelope. Certificate for a year in a beauty salon, the same annual subscription to the gym and my favorite: paid dental services. I didn’t have the strength to see that tractor smile anymore. The young, seeing such a gift, thanked, bowed and continued to celebrate with sour faces.

A day later, Marina called me and asked me how I could sleep when her family, my daughter, was collapsing. All because I cheated on her with the gift. To which I replied that she should not worry. Let her husband think about where he can get money for a car, with his own reduced salary.

If he wants to break up, it's not bad either. Pay him alimony. And she, my daughter, has a year to re-form herself as a beautiful woman. Sport, appearance, smile. I will take care of my grandson personally, I will be happy. If Maxim decided that the support for his wife will not be her husband, but her mother. And we will see who will be better off, him or her.

After a short pause, I heard my daughter laugh for the first time in a long time. She agreed and expressed her full support for my words. Do you know how important it is for a mother to hear that your baby is finally starting to move in the right direction? Well, now go after your son-in-law. I wonder what he will say to her. You can't be jealous of his situation.

Tags

See also

New and interesting