I’ve been abroad for almost a year, but now I’ve decided to go home.

Almost a year ago, many Ukrainians left their homes and went abroad. Life has been different for everyone. The heroine of our current history, after a year of living abroad, decided to return. Why she made this decision and what difficulties it brought. She shared this with us to ask for advice.

Editorial "Site" sharing her story with you.

My story begins about the same as that of a million other Ukrainians. Last year, everything turned upside down at one point. The first few days I was in a kind of stupor. I didn't know what to do next. So when my mom called and told me to go to her, I did. Then I thought it was a good decision. At the time, the city was very busy, so I went on the road.

My mother and sister have been living in Germany for many years. My mom left when my sister and I were still in school. After school, her sister decided to go with her. And I stayed because I had a good job here. And I got a good education.

It was hard for me from the first days. It wasn't what I was used to. The world seemed alien. But my mother and sister kept telling me I would get used to it. I decided to stay and then decide what to do next.

At first I lived with my mother, but she has a small apartment, I did not want to embarrass her. That's why I found a separate apartment. I didn’t want to use free offers because others need them more than I do. I was lucky to have a job. I have been working remotely in a foreign firm for many years. The salary is good and you can work anywhere.

However, my new home was much smaller than the one I had at home. After all, there I lived in a spacious apartment, and here was a small apartment on the first floor. I couldn't find anything better. And the prices bite a bit.

There are a lot of bureaucratic issues to solve in another country. And perhaps most of all, it deprived me of motivation. We have issues with paperwork solved somehow easier. I don’t want to complain because people have been very patient with me. But their red tape with every piece of paper just bore me. And there was a language barrier. I thought I knew German pretty well. But I overestimated myself. Although I understand that over time it would have corrected itself.

It may seem like it's all small things. However, everything together began to oppress me very much. I had a comfortable life at home. I was beginning to miss very much. I dreamed of my apartment. I really wanted to go home.

But my mom and sister sat down and told me to try to get used to it. So I decided to stay a little longer. I spent summer and autumn with my family. The situation did not improve, I wanted to go back. But then they persuaded me, because everyone was talking about the coming winter. I stayed and celebrated the New Year with them.

After almost a year of living abroad, I decided to go home. I realized that I like to travel abroad. But only travel, look at the sights. But certainly not build your own life here. I have an apartment in Ukraine that I love. And my earnings there look more substantial. That's why I came home last week.

My mom and sister call me every day and try to convince me. They say I made the wrong decision that I would regret it. They reproach me for not doing enough to stay. And I realized I didn't want to stay. I feel good at home. And I just want to live here. Did I do the wrong thing?

Unfortunately, Ukraine is still not safe. The enemy continues to shell cities. However, many people remain here. They keep living and working. I think the heroine did the right thing. If she's more comfortable here, why not? They say that the house is better and the house is better. What do you think of that?

Tags

See also

New and interesting