I pull things out of the closet, and they seem to be from the era of Brezhnev stagnation, smell of old age.

I started noticing the smell in the closet recently. This is especially true if you want to wear something I haven’t worn in a long time. It's not an old closet. What is it and how to fix this problem? I started to understand the issue and replenished my treasury of household knowledge so much that I am ready to share small tricks with you.

Today we will find out why there is an unpleasant smell in the closet and, most importantly, how to get rid of it once and for all.

An unpleasant smell in a closet is an insidious thing. You think you got rid of it, but it feels like it again and again. So first of all, you need to find out the reasons (usually several) why the fragrance appears in the wardrobe at all.

Firstly, the cabinet can be banal old. A sharp aroma is especially common in ancient Soviet furniture. Getting rid of it is almost impossible, unfortunately.

Secondly, the problem may be the improper storage of things. If you put clean and dirty clothes and other objects in the same place, do not be surprised at the lack of freshness. Where would she come from?

Dust mites may appear in clothes and closets. Noticing them with the naked eye is almost impossible. Also, they are quite difficult to get rid of, because for this you will have to process both things and furniture with a special means.

Also, the cabinet can exude an unpleasant aroma due to high humidity in the apartment. And the reason may be the wrong ratio of clothes and space in the wardrobe. Simply put, the closet is small, and there are a lot of things. Fresh air does not circulate, clothes do not ventilate.

To get rid of the unpleasant smell in the closet, first of all, you need to conduct a general cleaning in it. To do this, completely free the wardrobe from clothes. It will have to be completely washed. The cabinet itself is thoroughly washed, using household products designed for the material from which the furniture is made.

For a better effect, the cabinet can be washed with water and household soap. Then, ideally, it should be left open so that it is properly ventilated. Open all doors and windows (or balconies). Airing the cabinet is best for a few days.

It is also very important to move the cabinet away from the wall and see what condition its back wall is in. It often happens that this part of the furniture is a hotbed of mold, because of which there is an unpleasant aroma.

Even if everything is normal with the back and side walls, it is better to treat them with hydrogen peroxide. In this case, it is a preventive measure. If the cabinet is very old, you can try to save the situation. To do this, after general cleaning, the internal walls of the cabinet can be painted with high-quality paint.

When the wardrobe is done, get your clothes done. All things need to be washed. If they still smell unpleasant, you can soak them in water with the addition of air conditioning for at least half an hour. The clothes will have to be washed again.

After all the procedures done, the cabinet can be filled with clothes again. It should be completely dry, that’s important. Between things, I advise to put special aromatic sachets with various herbs. Also suitable fabric bags filled with coffee beans or tea.

Cinnamon and cloves will help not only get rid of the unpleasant smell, but also prevent the appearance of moths. For example, I put new soap and dry perfume in my clothes. It's working!

No matter how clean the cabinet seems, from time to time things in it need to go through. Wet clothes perfectly absorb all the unpleasant aromas surrounding it. So always dry things in a well-ventilated place, for example on the balcony.

If you know that the main problem of unpleasant smell lies in high humidity, catch a life hack. Just put activated carbon on the shelves. It will absorb excess moisture and help to get rid of the aromas. You need to change the pills every month.

As a preventive measure, you can use special accessories for cedar clothing. This tree is able to absorb any unpleasant odors and prevents them from spreading through the cabinet.

If the problem is dust mites, you will have to sweat to get rid of them. But you can do it! First, clean all your stuff up. Then rinse the clothes in a 20% salt solution. Then wash it in the usual way for you.

Perhaps you have other tips that will help get rid of the unpleasant smell in the closet. They bravely shared them in the comments. I'll see you downstairs!

Tags

See also

New and interesting