All traditions of cooking real Ukrainian borscht

Few people can argue with the fact that there are as many borsch recipes as housewives. But borscht classic Ukrainian borscht still remains an apple of contention. And there are many reasons for culinary battles here: do you put beans, is cabbage necessary, is it necessary to roast vegetables?

So, what kind of borscht is considered canonical? In order not to offend any of the opposing sides, we took the recipe from the culinary YouTube channel “Alina FooDee” as a basis. His host, Alina, cooks borscht exactly as my family has always done. And it tastes so appetizing that I just can not resist, I immediately go to cook!

Borsch Ukrainian Classic Ingredients
  • 600g pork ribs
  • 2 l of water
  • 2 potatoes
  • 1 bulb
  • 150-200g cabbage
  • 1 beet
  • 2–3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • pepper-pea
  • sugar
  • vegetable-oil

Preparation
  1. Cut the ribs in pieces. Put it in a pot and pour cold water. Put it on the fire. Then bring it to a boil and remove the foam.

2. Cut the straw beets and the onions into small cubes.
  3. Add the onions and beets to the boiling meat. Cook on a small heat for about 45-60 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, cut the carrots with a small straw. Pass it on a small amount of oil. Add the tomato paste, stir and roast for another 2 minutes. In summer, fresh tomatoes can be added instead of pasta if desired. Then add a spoonful of broth and carcass to the carrots for 5 minutes.

5. Stick the cabbage around. Slice 2 potatoes in small pieces.
  6. After about 40 minutes, when the beets have already lost their bright red color, add potatoes, bay leaf and pepper peas to the borscht. Cook 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are ready.
  7. After 10 minutes salt, add cabbage and roasted carrots to the borscht.

8. Stir and boil still 10 minutes until the cabbage is soft.
  9. At the very end of cooking, add crushed garlic. Some do a little differently: rub garlic in a mortar with lard. The aroma then spills such that words can not describe.
  10. Let me boil the borsch for a minute and get off the fire. Check for acid and sugar right away. If necessary, add sugar, vinegar or citric acid. Before serving, let borsch brew for 15-20 minutes, or even better a day. It is known that the thickest and tastiest borscht turns out the next day!
  11. Serve with green onions, lard, garlic and sour cream. More details about the recipe can be found at the link.

12. We wish you a pleasant appetite and that the house always smells of borscht and fresh bread!

Hearty meat soups of the world unite connoisseurs of taste and benefit. After all, each dish can satisfy hunger for a long time. Some dishes are familiar to us, but there are also cool novelties. Read about the most interesting soups from around the world and choose what you want to cook in your kitchen.

Tags

See also

New and interesting