How old is Pele, the best footballer of the twentieth century

Not every football fan knows for sure. How old is Pele? and what he's doing now. It is not surprising, because today on the football Olympus completely different stars. Still shine Ronaldo, Messi, Modric and Benzema. Mbappe and Holland are already living up to their high expectations.

As for the King of Football, he is in his 80s, rarely appears in public and has been increasingly hospitalized. However, even though he is not in the best condition, Pele continues to communicate with a multimillion-dollar audience for whom his opinion always matters.

The name of this footballer was heard even by those who are not particularly interested in sports. Edson Arantis do Nacimento was born on October 23, 1940 in a poor Brazilian family. His parents named him after inventor Thomas Edison.

Although Edson was not a scientist, but from an early age he was perfectly able to play football. And already at the age of 7 he began to play for the local children's team. His talent was visible to the naked eye. Already at the age of 15, the guy began his professional career in Santos, and after 2 years with the Brazilian national team he won the first world championship (for himself and for his native country).

It was just the beginning of a great career. Pelé has played in four World Championships, winning the tournament as many as three times, which remains an unattainable record to this day. The number of goals scored by this legendary footballer is still controversial today. It is believed that Pele managed to score 1,289 goals in 1,363 matches. Although even the confirmed number of 775 goals (only in official matches) is amazing.

After playing more than 20 years, Pele completed his sports career. But football remained in his life forever. This legendary man began to teach his skills to children. He popularized the sport, including through films, where in most cases he played himself. He also immersed himself in school, which had no time in his youth.

In the early 90s, Pele became the UN ambassador for the environment. And then he even took office. Minister of Sport of Brazil. And not only did he serve the room, but he was able to implement several important reforms. As a result, there is less corruption in Brazilian football. In the future, he spent a lot of effort and even his own money on promoting sports and a healthy lifestyle.

In recent years, health problems haunt the athlete especially often. However, even in this state, Pele could not remain silent about the war in Ukraine. The legendary football player appealed to Vladimir Putin to stop the bloody invasion of the Russian army in Ukraine.

“This conflict is immoral, unjustifiable, only painful and suffering. There is no reason for it to continue. Wars exist to divide nations. And there is not a single ideology that can justify rocket launches that shatter children’s dreams, destroy families and kill the innocent.

“I have lived eight decades in which I have heard hate speech propagating atrocities in the name of national security by spineless leaders. We must stop this and change.”

“I have always given my voice for peace. The power to stop this war is in your hands. The ones I shook in 2017, during our last meeting, Pele said.

Of course. anti-war statements There have been a lot of different world sizes in recent months. These calls may not convince those who started the war, but they affect public opinion.

After all, when Pele, Schwarzenegger, Jolie and many other famous people from different countries call for peace, it makes even the most ardent supporters of the war think and doubt their rightness.

Tags

See also

New and interesting