Do I need a loan to attend my nephew’s wedding?

Rich people don’t think about it. How much money does a wedding usually give?. They just put crisp currency in the envelope and go to the event. But people with poorer incomes have to think twice before accepting an invitation to the celebration.

The heroine of our new story Lyudmila knows firsthand how awkward you can feel for putting too little in that unfortunate envelope. But what else to do if there is simply no money? Today we'll try to figure it out.

In September my husband got a call from my sister and invited us to her son’s wedding. I was very surprised by this, because for the past few years, her family and I have barely communicated. In general, it was always difficult for us to find common ground, because Ola and I seem to come from different worlds.

She lives with nothing. Together with her husband and son, she goes abroad twice a year, goes to beauty salons every month and dresses in the most expensive boutiques of the capital. They have a private house, two cars and an apartment that they bought for their son when he was young. The house was rented out, and now that he is married, it will be fully transferred to his personal use. This is what happens when you marry a successful businessman.

I've never been jealous of Ole because my life is fine with me. Yeah, we can't afford half of what they do. But that doesn't mean we're unhappy. I work at school and my husband is a bus driver. And in the summer, my daughters and I go to the cottage to my parents.

We had a fight with my husband’s sister over her birthday. A few years ago, she celebrated her anniversary in an expensive restaurant, where she invited all her relatives, colleagues, friends and acquaintances. The scale was unthinkable! It has been a difficult time since I recently had a second daughter. We saved everything and gave Ole the amount of money we could afford.

But after the holiday, Olya told all her relatives how much we gave, made fun of us. And then it turned out she didn't like the dress I was wearing. Like, it's a shame even to go to the store, not to mention an expensive institution.

In general, on emotions, I told Ole everything I think about her. And we haven't spoken since. And now she calls and invites us to another event. The husband said he wouldn't go to his nephew's wedding. I know it's money again. But I decided otherwise. We'll take out a loan, put a decent amount of money in an envelope, dress well and still go to this unfortunate wedding!

I'm tired of living by limiting myself. I don’t want to think about how much others will give for the wedding and compare myself to them. This time it's different. Olya will be surprised!

After reading this story, we had a feeling that the main character is just trying to seem better to others. She's probably ashamed that she's not as rich and successful as her husband's sister. But is it worth solving this problem with a loan? The wedding will pass and the debt will remain. And, apparently, the money will have to give more than one month. This game is hardly worth the candle. What do you think?

Tell me, how much money do you think they give for a wedding? Is it worth worrying about this at all? Boldly share your thoughts in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting