All my life I dreamed of visiting Amsterdam, but the trip brought nothing but disappointment.

Very often in different social networks I blurred in admiring smile at the sight of another stunning street in Amsterdam. Neat multicolored houses, boats and bridges, and a bunch of flowers.

Before going on another trip, I always try to learn more about the culture of my destination. Asking friends about Amsterdam, I heard the following warnings: “Take more money with you – food is expensive”, “Get a raincoat – the weather is rainy”, “Always check what you were given at the cafe”. But it turns out I wasn't warned about everything.

Bike all the head of Amsterdam can rightly be called the capital of bicycles. Nowhere will you see as many two-wheelers as in this city. They have everything here: parking lots, roads, traffic lights and so on. Cycling is highly encouraged, so be doubly careful on the roads.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by I amsterdam (@iamsterdam)

If you find yourself on a bike lane and get hit, the law will not be on your side. This kind of news is not very good, I must say. It’s good that I was warned by a couple of Russians who have been living here for several years. I just can’t believe how is it that a bicycle is more important than a pedestrian?

We have all heard of Red Light Street, an area where night butterflies officially work. To tell you the truth, I was a little intimidated by local stories that you can't shoot anything on camera. It is possible that the owners of the establishments themselves can come and take away your camera. I don't know if that's true, but I kept my phone in my pocket all the way.

A post shared by CREATIVE PERSONALITY (@salamatova_mua)

Wandering through the busy area, in one of the windows I noticed a mannequin in clothes and came to see. In the end, I had to pay 3 euros. Because it wasn't a dummy. And it's paid. Even through glass.

I had an empty suitcase with me. For what? Shoppers will understand me here. Someone buys magnets and souvenirs at home, and I buy things in the wardrobe. That was one of the things I had to do in Amsterdam. But here too I faced a number of difficulties.

A post shared by Amsterdam | Travel community (@amsterdamworld)

First, shops work at best until 18:00, on Saturday until 17:00, and Sunday is a day off. Since the first days I went shopping later, my efforts were fruitless.

Secondly, prices. I have visited many places and have often bought original branded items in brand stores. But I was not ready for such prices. Disappointed and with an empty suitcase, I had only to walk carefully through the pedestrian lanes of beautiful Amsterdam.

What difficulties did you face while traveling? What place disappointed against expectations or, conversely, surprised?

Tags

See also

New and interesting