My mother-in-law was initially upset about our divorce, but soon rushed to babysit my new grandson.

What are the negative consequences of parents’ divorce for their children? The most painful thing that a child can go through during a parent’s divorce is the loss of connection with significant adults. Some do not have the opportunity to see one of the parents, and some have to realize that they are no longer interesting to their beloved grandparents. What to do in this situation to help the child cope with a difficult period? It is this question that has haunted our current narrator for many months.

Being married, I believed that with my mother-in-law Valentina Stepanovna I was incredibly lucky. She's pretty strict, but I've always been warm. And when my daughter Anechka and I were born, she did not want a soul in her. I always wanted to spend as much time with the baby as possible.

Valentina Stepanovna took her granddaughter to kindergarten herself, and she studied at home with her - she was looking for various educational games with exercises. And when my husband and I had to go somewhere together, my mother-in-law immediately volunteered to sit with Aneska.

Unfortunately, fate decreed that I had to divorce my husband. There was another woman in his life, and I didn't want to stand in the way. Does it make sense to hold a man who wants someone else?

My mother-in-law, as she learned about the upcoming divorce, was very upset at first. For a long time persuaded us to come to terms, at least for the sake of the daughter to keep the family. My husband certainly thought about it. Feelings of guilt, apparently, nobility covered ... But I didn't want to live like this. I think since love is gone, it's not a duty to continue living together. So soon we finally decided.

We lived in Valentina Stepanovna’s apartment. The husband, after we discussed everything, moved to his new lover. And my mother-in-law agreed that until I found a suitable housing option, I would live with her. But as soon as all the divorce papers were formalized, my mother-in-law immediately asked me and my daughter to leave, as if we were completely strangers.

Of course, I did not contradict and reminded of the agreement, too, considered superfluous. Fortunately, my mother lived only two hours away from our city. My daughter and I went to see her. Of course, it was harder to get along in her tiny little family, but somehow we settled down.

The problem is not even that the former mother-in-law evicted us. I don't understand that. For the whole year after the divorce, she never called and did not visit her granddaughter. How can you stop loving a child who grew up in front of you just because his mother divorced your son?

A friend says she saw Valentina Stepanovna walking with a wheelchair recently. I guess the new granddaughter is babysitting. Where to worry about Anna, and so care enough...

My daughter always asks about her grandmother. It's tearing my soul apart. I just can’t imagine how to explain that Grandma doesn’t want to see her anymore.

What would you advise our heroine? Do you think it makes sense to try to contact your mother-in-law and ask her to see your granddaughter? Or should I try to explain to my daughter that she will never see her grandmother again?

Tags

See also

New and interesting