How can you live if you betray your mother and choose a wife instead?

The story of how memories of his mother made a careless son feel guilty and sad in the midst of the New Year holidays, few will leave indifferent on this January evening.

There will be no happy beginning or happy ending. But it's still worth reading. Why? At least in order to learn one of the main life lessons and not to step on the same rake as the hero of today’s narrative.

This year I spent the loneliest Christmas of my life. Although the house was full of guests, and the kitchen was preparing a gala dinner beautiful wife, I felt like the most unhappy person in the world.

On the eve of the New Year holidays, I learned that I had lost my mother forever. I didn't even get to say goodbye to her. But the worst part isn't even that. The worst part is that I didn’t bother to say thank you to my mom for everything she did for me while she was alive.

When I was young, I did the most stupid thing to ask my mother to go to the countryside. But then I could not even imagine what would turn out this innocuous request in the end.

From the age of 17, I began to earn my own living. Until then, all the expenses and worries were on my mother’s shoulders, since my father left home when I was very young. Even when she did not finish eating and froze in bitter winter in old leaky boots, my mother did everything possible to provide me with everything I needed.

When I was 23 years old, I was invited to work for a large firm in Moscow. So shortly after my employment, I moved my mother from the village to the capital. For a while we lived like a fairy tale. It seemed that life was finally starting to get better, but it soon became clear that real problems lay ahead.

Six months after we moved, the firm went bankrupt and I lost my job. I had to change my office suit to work uniform and get a job on the first construction site I came across so I could pay for housing and groceries. Money was scarce even for these simple needs. On top of that, I fell in love with a high society girl.

I thought I wouldn’t live a day without this girl. So I had to work hard to get her attention. When that happened, our relationship grew too fast. One day she asked me if she could move in with me, and I knew that if I refused, I would lose her forever. But I also knew that my salary was not enough to support three people.

I had to make a choice: take care of my elderly mother or start my own family. And I chose the second.

I decided to talk to my mother and ask her to return to our home village where her sister lived, hoping that she could take care of her for a while. I promised I'd take her back when things got better. And my mom agreed right away. I heard her crying the night before she left, but there was nothing I could do. This solution to the problem seemed to me the only right one.

I was hoping my mom would wake me up before breakfast, as usual, so I could walk her out and put her on the bus. But that didn't happen. When I woke up, she was no longer home. All that's left is a note: "Son, don't worry about me." I'm gonna be fine, live your life. Kiss, Mama.

If I had known that that day would be our last day together, I would never have done it.

I rarely called my mother, and I never thought about visiting her. All my thoughts were focused on finding the best job and the girl I love. It was like weeks, months and even years. And when I came to my senses and came to the village to fulfill my mother’s promise, it was too late.

Tags

See also

New and interesting