Is it worth agreeing to the husband’s request to take a loan for apartment repairs?

It's no secret that beautifully renovated It's expensive. Many families collect a penny for years to better transform their favorite nest. Some people even borrow money for this purpose.

However, if the spouses cannot peacefully agree on such an important issue, problems are inevitable. How to maintain good relationships in the family and come to a common denominator? That's our story today.

When I got married, my husband and I immediately agreed on the family budget. It was decided that we share all the costs equally, so that it was fair. Of course, until the kids show up. Moreover, I even made a schedule when each of us should go to the store or do a general cleaning in the apartment.

We also have a separate item of expenses for all kinds of entertainment and pleasures. Of course, we save up for vacations together. There have never been questions about this before. My husband fully supported my initiative, and my desire for perfectionism helped.

Perhaps my education also played a role. From a young age, I saw how well my parents lived. They always helped each other and supported each other. Of course, I wanted it to be the same in my family.

We are lucky with the apartment, we do not have to rent. We live in my husband's nest. Before the wedding, I offered to pay for most of the utilities. The apartment belongs to the spouse. He was surprised, but he supported my idea. We’ve been living this way for several years now, and everything would be fine if it weren’t for one incident.

© Freepik Once our husband’s sister visited us from abroad. To prepare a dinner party, I left work early and came home without warning. When I was undressing in the hallway, I heard the voices of my husband and Katya. In conversation, she shamed him for the state of our home. Like, a beautiful renovation in the apartment has not been done for a hundred years and so you can not live.

I was stunned when I heard that. Of course, we don’t have a European repair. But everything looks well-groomed and neat. I didn’t want to get into a discussion about it, so I shouted I was there and went to the bathroom. My husband wasn't himself all night. Apparently, he was very offended by the words of his sister.

Soon she left, but the unpleasant residue remained. And new "bright" impressions were added to it. One day our friends came to us. Everything was going as usual, until her friend said, “Anka, somehow you are uncomfortable.” How long have you been renovating? The husband blushed like a tomato and went to another room. And when the guys went home, he decided to talk to me.

“Anya, don’t you think it’s time for us to make repairs?” the husband asked. I said I didn't see the point. Most of the day I am away from home, I have no time to admire the colorful wallpaper or stretch ceiling. But if my husband needs it, please, I don't mind. Of course, I am not going to spend my money on repairs.

My answer confused my husband. He was sure that we would split those costs in half. In fact, he even talked about a possible loan. I do not want to quarrel with my husband, I am ready to help him if necessary. But I won't give you a dime. What is usually done in such situations and how to find a compromise?

From the editorial board, the family budget is not easy and responsible. And by the way, very individual. While some spend money right and left, others think through all the spending in advance every month. Agree to make repairs, you need to look at things sensibly. First of all, it is important to answer the question of whether you can afford it now. And then we can act!

© Freepik I wonder what advice would you give the main character of today's story? Do you think that a woman should share the cost of repairing the apartment with her husband? Leave your comments at the bottom!

Tags

See also

New and interesting