Flight attendants told 11 secrets that will help make the trip much more enjoyable

Flight attendants spend more than 80 hours a month in the air and travel is an integral part of their lives. Who, if not them, can learn about useful tips and life hacks? Business Insider asked flight attendants to share their secrets. Website publishes a translation of the advice given by the flight attendants.

How to get flight attendants to serve you more closely

Image source: Businessinsider.com Most passengers try to choose seats in the front of the cabin of the aircraft to get out as soon as possible after landing and increase the chances that they will get their favorite option of lunch. But flight attendants know that if you're sitting in the tail, you'll be served more closely. The reason is simple: flight attendants do not like to answer calls in the front of the plane, as they will probably collect similar requests from other passengers along the way. This can be a problem as planes often lack extra vodka, pillows, earplugs and toothbrushes, and on short flights there may not be enough time for additional maintenance on top of the schedule. However, it is easier for passengers sitting at the back of the cabin to bring an extra bottle of wine or whatever they ask for.

How to easily and quickly iron clothes

A flight attendant with thirty years of experience advises: “Use an iron to straighten your hair to put your clothes in order when you are in a hurry and you do not have time to stand at the ironing board.”

How to Always Sleep in a Clean Bed

A 19-year-old flight attendant says, “Never lie down in hotels on bed linen that has no creases to indicate that it has been rolled up.” That means someone has already slept on it.”

How to darken a room in the hotel

A flight attendant with 15 years of experience shares a piece of advice: "Use the pantspins on the trouser hanger to fasten the curtains in the hotel; so no light will seep through them."

How not to damage hearing

One of the flight attendants says, “Try not to fly when you have a cold.” This can damage the eardrums and lose hearing. It happened to me once: I couldn’t hear normally for a week, and it hurt like hell.

How to Avoid Neighborhood with a Small Child

It is impossible to avoid the cry of an upset child (and there is no one to blame for this), but you can reduce the discomfort by not sitting in the cabin next to the partitions. These partitions are the only places on the plane where parents can safely secure a baby cradle, and as a result, most children under one year old will be accommodated there.

How to fight jet lag

One of the flight attendants says, “It helps me to sleep the ritual of going to bed.” An hour before bedtime, put down all electronic devices, drink tea and read a little. It usually works, but if I can’t sleep for more than an hour, I just get up, do something, and then try to fall asleep again.

How to bring fewer things

A one-year-old flight attendant says, “Please call your hotel before you travel and see if they have a washing and drying machine.” If there is, bring a couple of bags of laundry detergent and antistatic wipes to dry in a sealed bag. You will be able to get rid of things for two to four days depending on the length of your trip.

How to pass passport control in the blink of an eye

The flight attendant anonymously advises travelers who travel frequently to the US: “Pay for the Global Entry program, it’s worth it.” This program was invented by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection to speed up the procedure for entering the country for foreign passengers who have undergone preliminary checks. Program participants who arrived in the United States, just go to the automated kiosk and do not have to stand in line for passport control and fill out a customs declaration.

How to save space in a suitcase

The flight attendant, who has been working for a year, says: My favorite life hack for travel is the technique of folding clothes into scrolls. I often leave home for a few days, sometimes for three weeks, and save space in a suitcase by twisting clothes rather than folding them.”

How to Avoid Free Breakfast

“If you know you won’t be able to attend a prepaid meal at the hotel because you’re leaving before it starts, or you don’t have time to finish it, ask the receptionist if the hotel can pack a snack or lunch for you before or after the scheduled time. Usually it is a fruit, a bottle of water and a piece of cheese, but it has saved my rumbling stomach from hunger several times.

via www.businessinsider.com/flight-attendants-share-their-favorite-travel-hacks-2016-10/

Tags

See also

New and interesting