Homemade yogurt in a slow cooker

A story about how to make homemade yogurt in a slow cooker the most lazy, but reliable way.

The article is dedicated to those who have a slow cooker, but who are not yet preparing the yogurt, as well as those who have crock pots there, but who, yielding to the fashion for thinking to buy it. (Not the fact that after reading this article, you will be strengthened in their intention.)

I love homemade yogurt and cook it for many years in a thermos. But progress does not stand still and its engine is known to be Lazy. Another engine, of course — curiosity.

The main disadvantage of making yogurt in a thermos — the need to catch the correct milk temperature for laying the starter. Here you stand over a saucepan with a chemical thermometer in hand. Just turn the temperature down to heat. While from the bottom of the convective flow of milk reached the top — overheated again Ostoji...

Do I need to boil the milk to ferment yogurt in a slow cooker?Theoretically, you can tilt the pan a bottle of cold milk, throw the starter and press the button. All. I did a few times — worked. However, there are nuances...

Yogurt is a capricious product demands respect. With the method "threw click — ate" is a risk to not quite yoghurt, or yoghurt is not the entire volume or no yogurt.

So, before the starter even bottled milk, I still boil it. Then allowed to cool. When making yogurt in the slow cooker, the milk temperature is not as critical as in a thermos, most importantly, the milk should not be too hot — above 40 degrees, so as not to ruin the starter. And below please.

When boiling milk is sterilized we remove the leaven of our competitors. That means more chances to get the right yogurt.

Than fermenting homemade yogurt?Homemade yogurt can ferment yogurt purchase with a short shelf life. To bacteria there was indeed alive. Unfortunately, this yogurt is not found without any fruit or sugar additives. So I filtered it through a metal strainer (clean!).

Tried the famous "Assets". Milk fact. The output will be something very similar to the "ACTIVIA" same — sour and not too thick.

Milk for homemade yogurtFor the fermentation of milk is suitable only with short shelf life, that store is in the refrigerator. Long-running packages do not take from this milk I could not even cook milk — not soured with rye bread near the battery for 3 days...

The mode multivarki for making yogurtHere variants are possible. My MultiArc (one of the cheapest devices) there is a special button "yogurt" — 8 hours at a temperature of 40 degrees and, significantly, without heating at the end of cooking. You can also use "control" in the same way, but don't forget to turn off the heating if you can.

Often offer to cook the yogurt in a water bath in a special small jars. But I'm too lazy — it's necessary each jar carefully washed, and the output is too small. I cook directly in the pot of the slow cooker (see figure).

Step by step instructions of cooking the Lazy but high-quality yogurt in a slow cookerBoil fresh milk (1 liter) Cooled to a temperature below 40 degrees Pour into a saucepan multivarki to the same strain through a sieve box of the correct yoghurt (a tablespoon, but I like reliability, so do not huddle — all the same because yogurt is opened and is subject to early use) Stir with a plastic spoon Close multiverse Set mode "yogurt" or something similar — 40 deg for 8 hours without heating. Importantslow Cooker during cooking yoghurt clicks. Quietly, infrequently, but eight hours in a row — not every stand, especially at night. Not advised to sleep within earshot.

Another practical observationit became clear from the previous paragraph, clicking the pan we had to evict. In the cool hallway. And this was a godsend! Because at the end of cooking, the yogurt is rapidly cooled and not perequisite while we luxuriated in bed a couple extra hours

The most importantthe Yogurt is what I eat with a spoon. Yogurt with spoon end, but it is shaking like jelly, twinkling at the bend in the milky light of moon rock. Yogurt is produced only from milk and bacterial starter cultures, in an extreme case with added fruit and sugar. More there should not be ANYTHING.

Good luck!

Source: sadovos.ru/

Tags

See also

New and interesting