Chaos theory in everyday life or As a Cup of coffee can ruin your life

According to chaos theory, even small changes in our world lead to unpredictable consequences in another place and another time.

Edward Lorenz, founder of chaos theory, called this phenomenon butterfly effect: the flap of a butterfly wing in Iowa causes a chain of errors and uncertainties that are growing like an avalanche over time and climax lead to a hurricane in Indonesia.

Sixty seven million four hundred thirty four thousand six hundred eighty two

«Butterfly effect.» Kompozicija sculpture Park DeCordova (USA).

Human behavior is as a complex system. This means that one, in itself insignificant, the action brings us to the complex and unpredictable consequences.

For example, an extra Cup of coffee that you drank with a friend in a coffee shop — not just an extra Cup of coffee, and the event that leads to other significant events.

In the evening you find it hard to sleep and you sit up late in front of the monitor -> the next day don't get enough sleep and feel overwhelmed -> because of missing training and make mistakes at work, which in turn triggers other consequences.

Another example: you are immersed in work on an important project. To get to work and focus on creativity takes time. Suddenly, the alarm is triggered on your phone — a colleague asks to send him the file. You break away from creative work and opens the mail program -> there you can see two more letters demanding an immediate reaction. Click on a link in one of them and see the review that require a response. Then check messages in the messenger, because I've got used to check it with the post…

...and in the evening find that time on the important work already left. This leads to disruption of deadlines or mediocre quality work. Missed deadlines, mediocre work, in turn, becomes a cause for subsequent events. And so on.

How small events lead to big consequences

Our every action or decision as well as the flap of a butterfly wing, has many significant and unpredictable consequences. Some of them are positive — they help to structure our lives to achieve goals, while others, on the contrary, a negative one, create havoc and deprive a sense of control. Therefore it is critical to consciously identify the event with the butterfly effect and manage.

Here are a few examples of negative and positive "butterflies»:

Negative:

· An extra Cup of coffee;

· Skipping a single workout;

· An unexpected call or message;

· The mess at home or in the workplace;

· Uncontrolled checking email or visiting social networks.

Positive:

·         Healthy breakfast;

· A plan for the day;

· Energizing morning ritual;

· Preparing items for training in the evening;

· Recognition of 10-minute focus on a difficult task.

People make the mistake of thinking about their behavior as a simple linear process in which each action or the decision does not depend on the previous one. Because of this, you lose the connection between cause and effect.

Therefore, people are hard to change habits, to keep fit, follow a schedule or just to live a life filled with meaning, and not to feel like a squirrel in a wheel.

The good news is that understanding this principle allows you to control the "butterflies" to prevent the emergence of negative and turn into positive habits.

It's a discipline — not through willpower, but through the actions having a butterfly effect, turned into a habit.

Twenty nine million three hundred thirty two thousand seven hundred seven

Why the Grand plans are doomed to failure

Understanding this principle gives us a point of leverage. Evaluating the event with the butterfly effect, we can focus attention on it. And then all the rest will change by itself or will be much easier.

When I realized the value of focus and realized how poorly drained the time to churn, I did not make a revolution in my life because I knew that in the long run it won't work.

Instead, I imposed one rule: to not start the day with news and e-mail, and with a 50-minute focus block of learning English. As soon as I did, I felt more disciplined, my focus muscles become stronger, then I would add another focus block creative work.

Compare this with the traditional approach: many people want to lose weight or just become stronger. The idea is to start with one small action — a daily 5-minute charge or a healthy Breakfast not inspiring them — they despise these objectives, considering them insignificant.

Instead, they "begin a new life "Monday": buy a gym membership and sports equipment, hire a personal trainer make a workout program for 6 days a week and sit on the newfangled detox diet…

...and all this in order that through two weeks to completely fade and guilt back to the usual comfortable way of life.

Controlled chaos

We can't always control your reactions, but we can control events that determine what happens to us.

The first step to managing behavior is to begin to consciously notice the negative "butterflies" and replace them with positive. If your life is structured poorly, you will easily find in it a dozen of such events.

Take a sheet of paper and divide it into three columns:

1. In the first column write the grey area — time units that are held out-of-focus: aimless Internet surfing, unproductive surface work, time with loved ones with thoughts about work.

2. In the second column will identify triggers, resulting in a gray zone: the habit to start the day with checking email, a stack of unpaid bills and incoming papers in a corner of the desktop, pulls attention to himself, no clear plan of action.

3. In the third column write down new events that you replace the usual triggers.

Here is an example of such a table, which I made two years ago:

Seventy four million nine hundred nineteen thousand five

The table helps to identify the events that lead us into grey areas, and allows you to consciously control them.

For example, a mere awareness of the fact that I spend the morning on the news and aimless surfing for me was not enough. In the morning I just couldn't bring myself to take serious creative work: my brain as if not yet awake to the end and everything inside of me resisted. Really productive I became even closer to 11 am.

Then I added a few simple things that helped to turn the tide:

• 5-minute morning set of exercises from yoga that gives me energy;
  • configured to automatically lock on schedule news sites in the program Focus;
  • the first thing to come to the office, make yourself a coffee, make a plan for the day, I bring the Desk to a perfect cleanliness: all clean paper and wipe the dust;
  • start the day with a block English, relegating all other cases to the end.

Now to 12:00, I have time to do all of the most important things to do but before at this time could only get to work.

Also interesting: Our chaotic thoughts have tremendous energy potential

Greg McKeown about how to Prioritize in life

Summary

1. Human behavior is a complex system. This means that one, in itself insignificant, the action brings us to the complex and unpredictable consequences.

2. People make the mistake of thinking about behaviour as a linear process, where every action or decision does not depend on the previous and does not affect the next. Because of this, you lose the connection between cause and effect.

3. Our every action or decision has many significant and unpredictable consequences. Some of them are positive — they help to structure our lives to achieve goals, while others, on the contrary, a negative one, create havoc and deprive a sense of control.

4. Understanding this principle gives us a point of leverage. Calculating the event with the butterfly effect, and focusing on them, we do everything else much easier.

5. The first step to managing life, to begin to consciously notice the "negative butterfly" and replace them with positive.

6. We can control the "butterflies»: to prevent the emergence of "negative" and turn into habits positive. This creates a discipline — not because of the power of will, but through the actions having a butterfly effect, turned into a habit.published  

Author: Mikhail Ankudinov

Source: interesno.co/myself/b4de440f97d8

Tags

See also

New and interesting