Julian Assange: Google is not what it seems from the sandbox (part 2)

In this part of Assange tells a little about the course of the interview, and many of his companions - who are they and what impressed. In short, the interview turned out longer with the Google representatives, and with the US foreign policy agency.

By July, the conversation added. That summer, WikiLeaks has continued to grind to a screeching American diplomatic documents by publishing thousands of them weekly. When, seven months ago, we first began to produce in the light of such documentation, Hillary Clinton has condemned us, calling it "an attack on the international community" and the "destruction of the structure» ( "tear at the fabric") government.

Chairman of the Board of Directors of Google Eric Schmidt participated in the "pulse of the global economy today," the annual meeting ( «Pulse of Today's Global Economy»), which is part of the Clinton Global Initiative September 26, 2013, New York.

That's wildness and made the guys from Google plans to build in June, landing at London airport and do the long journey to East Anglia in Beccles, Norfolk [approx. actually Suffolk]. Schmidt arrived first, accompanied by his then-partner, Lisa Shields (Lisa Shields).

When he introduced her as vice-president of Council on Foreign Relations - American foreign policy think tank, consisting of close relations with the State Department - I pondered. Shields, in itself, was straight out of Camelot ( «straight out of Camelot»), as well as lit up with John F. Kennedy Jr. in the early 1990s.

They sat down with me and we exchanged pleasantries. They said that they had forgotten to take the recorder, so the course went mine. Provided that I will send them to record the conversation, and they, in return, transcript, we have begun. Schmidt decided to leave in the pool with his head, immediately after covering me with questions about the organizational and technical foundation of WikiLeaks.

Some time later we were joined by Jared Cohen. Along with him came Malcomson Scott (Scott Malcomson), which is presented as a book editor. Three months after our meeting Malcomson join the State Department as the lead speechwriter and chief adviser, Susan Rice (Susan Rice), while the former US ambassador to the UN, and later appointed national security adviser.

Prior to that, he served as a senior advisor to the United Nations, being a long-time member of the Council on Foreign Relations. At the time of writing is the Director of Relations of the International Crisis Group [approx. International Crisis Group has positioned itself as an "independent non-profit non-governmental organization, conducting analysis in the field and creating a high-level advocacy to resolve deadly conflicts." Also, the organization is described as "a high-level think tank, giving policy advice to governments and NATO-led reforming the Balkans - Michael Barker," Imperial Crusaders For Global Governance "Swans Commentary, April 20, 2009»]

. The moment has arrived delegation comprised a quarter of the Google, and three-quarters of the United States Foreign Minister, but I still have not caught up. When finished with a handshake, we got down to business.

Eric Schmidt posing in New York elevator, holding a new book of Henry Kissinger "World Order", September 25, 2014

Schmidt misleading. At the age of sixty, looking to squint due owl glasses, dressed formally - a stern look Schmidt pointed to the ability to analyze a clean machine. But his direct questions often made it clear what he wants, as if betraying its external severity and constructive mind.

However, it was the same mind that was able to abstract the programmer engineering principles to grow Google's mega-corporation, building a corporate structure so as to always find a way to grow.

This was a man who knew how to build and how to maintain the system: information system and human systems. My world was for him a novelty, but it was the same world of social processes deployment, growth, and information flows.

For human system of mind, beliefs Schmidt - as I understood from our conversation - were surprisingly commonplace, even banal. He caught a structural link quickly, but found it difficult to put into words much of what is often vpihivaya geopolitical subtleties in marketing momentum in Silicon Valley or in officialdom microlanguages ​​his companions from the State Department [approx. Assange in a footnote points out that this can be considered a living proof of the weak version of the hypothesis Sapir-Wolf (Sapir-Whorf) the dependence of thinking on the structure of the language used. Probably, there is not referring to the English language as a whole, but a kind of dialect, was born in the US political circles and valleys including]. The better shape he was, perhaps, not even that osoznovaya when speaking as an engineer.

I found that Cohen a good listener, but less interesting thinker, a man possessed of the relentless idleness that usually destroys careers Rhodes Scholars and Fellows ( «Rhodes scholars») [approx. Rhodes Scholarship - a prestigious award for non-graduate britanaskih giving a scholarship to study at Oxford]

. As one would expect, on the basis of its foreign policy training, Cohen had knowledge of international hot spots and conflicts, and quickly switch between them, describing in detail the possible scenarios to test my assertions.

But sometimes there is a feeling that it was orthodoxy aims to impress his former colleagues from the official Washington. Malcomson, the eldest, was thoughtful, his contribution to the conversation was attentive and generous. Shields was silent most of the talking and only interjects.

As the source is, I had to make a great conversation piece. I wanted to dedicate them to my worldview. To their credit, I think this is the best interview that I gave them. I came out of the comfort zone and I liked it.

We ate and then walked around the surroundings, while continuing to record everything on tape. I asked Eric Schmidt to tell WikiLeaks about government requests to the company, to which he refused, and suddenly Nervous citing the illegality disclose information on request according to the Patriot Act. In the evening we finished and they left, went back into unreality, to the distant halls media empire, and I was left to continue.

This was all over, or rather, as I then thought.

Tags

See also

New and interesting