Why do we teach the girls to be afraid of - it's cute

I was one of the first women who worked in the Fire Safety Management in San Francisco. For over 10 years I have worked in this area, which is constantly lit up the house, like matches, and I do not just have to do artificial respiration children pull people too heavy for me, and crawl on the smoky hallway.

I thought that people will ask me: "How is such a small and slim girl cope with such hard work" - and instead I heard: «Are not you afraid?»

It was strange and disappointing - doubt my courage. I've never heard that my male colleagues have asked about this. Apparently, the fear applies only to women.

In one study, parents were asked to tell the children about the fire. Moms and dads have warned their daughters about the dangers of fire, and boys were taught how to deal with the fire.

I asked about his girlfriend, who warned of the dangers of his daughter more often than a son. "Well, she's so clumsy ...»

I was too clumsy child. I was shy and afraid of so many things: great kids, something under my bed, school. But I loved "Harriet the Spy" and knew all about Lancelot and the Knights of the Round Table. < None of these characters did not speak about the fear, by their actions, they showed courage.

As a child, I went on the bike on the steep road and once lost his balance and crashed into a tree. I had scrapes and bruises, but his parents knew it was part of my childhood. With each victory over their fears and failures, I regained confidence.

Nobody says that the injury - it is good, or that girls should be reckless. < We all need to take risks. Giver Tully, author of "50 dangerous things you should let your child", believes that children should play a dangerous game (of course, under the supervision of parents). It teaches them responsibility, problem solving and self-confidence. From this it follows that the warning girls from this experience, we are not well prepare them for life.

When she first receives a burn, she understands that you need to avoid fire and learns to avoid something outside their comfort zone. < And so the situation that previously terribly frightened, in fact, may be not terrible.

We must confront the fear and acquire the qualities that we attribute men - courage and fortitude. We need to praise and encourage the girls for what they learn skills that can seem difficult and even dangerous at first glance. And it's not cute when 10-year-old girl ran, shouting, "I'm scared»

. When I worked as a fireman, I often feared. Of course, like all men. But it was not a reason to quit. < I hid my fear of attention, confidence and courage,

Author: Caroline Paul
Translation and adaptation of the Website
Preview: Bethany Struble

via thebloggersdaughter.blogspot.ru/2013/01/ask-us.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting