440 days alone in the open ocean

Site found amazing story of survival in the open ocean, and that hope should not be lost even when it seems that the worst is already there can not be.

Recently, on a desert island in the Pacific Ocean was found lost more in 2012 (!), The fisherman Jose Alvarenga, who was drifting in a small boat that crashed after a strong storm.

Alvarenga said he and his partner fished off the coast of Mexico when the storm overtook the boat. Fishermen swept into the open ocean, where our hero eventually spent 440 days.

14 months ago, 36-year-old fisherman Jose Alvarenga and his friend Ezekel Cordova went fishing. When the waves began to rise above Alvarenga gave the order to turn back. However, the storm intensified with each passing moment, and the boat was to swing from side to side and quickly flooding. Cordoba had no choice as a bucket of bailing out of the boat. At this time Alvarenga tried to keep the course, not to be lost in the ocean.

All night fishermen struggled with the elements in the hope to stay alive. At nine o'clock in the morning the storm died down, the sky cleared. However, it turned out that the engine of the boat completely destroyed by the elements and can not be restored. Furthermore anchors to moor, is also no longer there, his torn and swept into the sea.

The radio Alvarenga gave to the land that they were in a storm. He was told that the rescue service is urgently sent to search for them. However, all the aid was not necessary, and the vessel further and further carried away into the ocean.

Fishermen had to survive in a dilapidated boat. They were exhausted from hunger and thirst, but still tried to fish for food, and sometimes even enjoyed the sea turtles. From liquid fishermen it had nothing except his own urine. They also figured out how to collect rainwater.

«< I was so hungry that he ate his own nails. We have developed the technique of catching fish with his bare hands. I just held his hands in the water up to their shoulders, and when the fish swam past, I firmly grabbed her and threw it on the deck. Sometimes I catch jellyfish and swallow them just as they are. They burned his throat, but it was better than hunger, "- said Jose Alvarenga.

Hanging out in the ocean, fishermen do not just come across to a different type of plastic trash cans, packages and so on. D. Once, they even managed to find the entire chewing gum, which the men were immensely happy. Also, the network of fishermen fell Kachan cabbage, carrots and milk liter jar. However, the milk was sour, but who cares ?!

After about four months after the fatal storm Cordoba condition began to deteriorate. He poisoned one of the fish caught and fell into a depression. Cordova refused food, water, do not even get up from the deck, lying in the hot sun.

One night, Cordoba began to groan and convulse. Alvarenga tried to give him some water. After a few moments of Cordova died at the hands of her partner.

"I propped him not washed away, and tied to the boat. Then I cried for hours. The next morning I woke up and looked at him, smiled and asked: "How did you sleep? How are you feeling, my friend? "- Says Alvarenga.

Fisherman dead friend was asking questions and he answered them well, as if nothing had happened. He later explained by the fact that for several days he felt a heavy shock and could not accept the death of the only interlocutor, comrade and friend.

Six days Alvarenga threw the body into the water, realizing that Cordoba yet died. Himself, our hero was suffering from serious depression and suicidal thoughts. He stopped like a fight for life. He almost gave up ...

Day 30 January 2014 on an island in the atoll of Ebon, which is part of the Marshall Islands, there was a bloodcurdling scream. Amy Russell Leykedrik Libokmeto - owners of the only house on this side - ran to the beach. Before them was a weedy overgrown man in a torn underwear.

- He waved his arms and yelled at us incomprehensible language - says Amy. - In the hand holding the knife. We are given to understand by gestures that he lowered his weapon. The stranger threw the knife on the ground and continued to shout something, fell to his knees. Coming closer, we saw the broken wooden boat. We realized that this man washed ashore. He was lying on the ground with almost no effort and repeated, obviously, the name "Jose Jose».

Jose Alvarenga found the shore. It was discovered in the Marshall Islands of the Pacific Ocean. His hair was tangled, grown a beard heavily, swollen ankles, a man could barely walk. However, the assurances of doctors, a fisherman was injured seriously and did not even need hospitalization.

- I think the guy went through hell, - says Niedenthal, director, working on a film about the wonderful swimming Alvarenga - It is obvious that he is an ordinary fisherman, who happened to be in a terrible situation. Jose is clearly not interested in an international sensation. It revolves around the mass media, but he does not want to communicate with anybody. He is a man of the sea. He is not just left to go fishing for the weekend, he spent all his life at sea. So, I know how to survive in the ocean.

Travel Jose Alvarenga h3>

Jose Alvarenga and Ezequiel Córdoba put out to sea from the village of Costa Azul in southern Mexico, near the town of Pihihyapan November 17, 2012. After a day on the boat motor broke down and they were in a storm. Without means of navigation are not provided on board, it was impossible to determine the location.

Probably, the boat picked up the North Equatorial Current 3, the average speed is 12 miles per day. Distance from Costa Azul to the Marshall Islands, where they found Jose January 30, 2014, about 10 000 kilometers. In this way, the fisherman had to be in the ocean around 450-470 days.

via fishki.net/1728458-ja-byl-tak-goloden-chto-el-svoi-nogti-ili-438-dnej-odinochestva-v-otkrytom-okeane.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting