The work is not worth it

Posthumous recognition of a man who 30 years was a workaholic, and died of cancer. h3> Lynds Redding (Linds Redding) worked in New Zealand agencies BBDO and Saatchi. At the age of 52, he died of inoperable cancer of the esophagus. His legacy, in addition to advertising projects, was the essay "A little lesson for the future," he wrote on his blog shortly before passing away.

Maybe someone will make this cry from the heart to reflect and look back on your life, it is too late.

- Many years ago, when I first started working in the advertising we had a reception - "Night verification." Throughout the day, me and my partner on sheets of A4 recording all the ideas that just came to mind on the subject of working projects. Careless headers, silly puns, simple sketches marker. It was kind of a garbage dump for the brain. Anything that falls out of our heads, or fly out of our mouths, immediately applied to the paper. By the end of the day, all the most absurd and outside ideas are filtered off and a pile of crumpled paper filled trashcan in the corner of our closet.

If the day was productive, in addition to the mountain of paper, plastic cups from the coffee and crowded ashtrays accumulate plump stack "concepts." We carefully hung the sheets on the wall of our office before heading to the bar to drink a pint.

The next day, ignoring the hangover, exactly at 10:00 we came to work with fresh eyes, and evaluated the results of our work yesterday. As a rule, one-third of the ideas then selected at once. It's amazing how the idea yesterday seemed at the time of their birth hilariously funny or truly remarkable, eclipsed by the light of a sobering morning light. By midday coffee all the agency was to collect and we returned to our routine work: sagely wandered around the office, criticizing the works of other creative pairs.

But here's the thing.

"Night check" only works if you can afford this night. As time went on, it's 90, who turned the advertising industry and not only. There are new tools, the endless possibilities and urgent deadlines. With the advent of digital technology greatly accelerate our work. An idea? Realize and leave for a few hours! At first, it was a luxury. We could have so much and so fast to do!

Accountants up there quickly calculated that now for one and the same time, we can work three times and three times to earn more for their money.

Very soon "Night check" into a "verification lunch." Then, do not understand how, we switched to "instant noodles" for the desk and took turns to go home to kiss the kids before bedtime. As soon as we stuck some idea on the wall, shot in red-account in a cheap suit and tearing a leaf, carried away. Now, we have not had a chance to look at his legs stretched our ideas from the outside and separate the wheat from the chaff. We have come to rely on the experience and inner instinct. In most cases, it worked.

Standards have fallen. We have become more conservative. Reluctant to creative risks, relying on the tried and tested techniques. Studies show that the familiar gives better results than something new. And studies have become a new religion.

To be truly creative - it means to be deprived of any shyness. Disable the internal censor. I do not care what others think. That's why children are so well in the works, and people with Volkswagen, loans and Louis Vuitton suitcases - no.

You have to be brave to think out loud. And best of all, it turns out in a safe and secure place. Once the creative department and design studio was such a place. You could pour out their creative ideas without fear of censure or ridicule. After all, the only way you can do, otherwise you just will close as a clam in its shell. It's like having sex when my mother was listening at the door. Nothing happens. But then some wise guy had the idea to organize the competition. Creativity has become a competition. In a race. The winner gets the job done.

Now from this disease affects all. Technology evolves at the speed of an electron. And our poor perenapryagshiesya neurons trying to keep up. Decisions are made in a fraction of seconds. I saw, liked, shared, was superficial idea, post it to Twitter. There is no time to wait or doubt. Seize the moment! Home time! Will repent later. Oh, and to cover his ass, do not forget to put a smiley face at the end, in case if you went too far.

Week vacation - it's good. Month - a luxury. Now I "enjoy" forced removal from the reality of my past. This is the best 6 months of my life. When you're used to a lifetime run with a low start, shooting from the hip and dancing through the eye of a needle, it is useful to look at life from the outside. Very sobering.

It turns out that my life is not so pleasant to me, as I thought. I understand that, from time to time met with his former colleagues. They pounce on me, enthusiastically talk about his latest project. I try to listen with respect, they are arguing about who is sleeping less, and who often eats fast food. "I have not seen my wife since January", "I have no legs feel," "I am a fan for a long time, but it is necessary to complete the project, and the client goes on vacation" - they say. What do I think? What are they all gone mad. They are mad. They are so detached from reality that it's not even funny. I was shocked. It seemed to me that it's someone's scam. Cheating. Elaborate hoax.

The idea that we praise and appreciate most, turned into a trinket, a plastic toy for advertising and trade. Moreover, now we have to stamp them in accordance with the quota and production schedule. "In the morning, we need to show the client 6 concepts, then he goes on vacation. He pays just one, so strongly do not strain, do not waste a lot of time. Jot down anything. His favorite color - green. Bye then! I'm in the club. See you in the morning! »

Have you ever tried to give birth to the idea at gunpoint? It is a daily reality of creatives. And when he cope with it ... "I'm sorry, the client was unable to attend the meeting. I sent him a squash club fax your achievements. He liked the green option. All but text, words, images and ideas. And yet, you can make the logo bigger? I hope you yesterday, not much was late? Well, there are computers! Well, so far, I have lunch. »

I have seen many creatives. People just psychologically and emotionally suited to such a hostile and toxic environment. Nevertheless, all of the young, curious, willing to work for pennies Young advertisement does not dry out. But their lack of enthusiasm for long.

How I survived 30 years in advertising? It was on the razor's edge. To hide from all the sense of insecurity and fear. And I ran, ran as fast as he could, so that no one could catch up with me. I also convinced myself that nothing else can do in this life. I do not know how. Advertising - this is my calling, and I am incredibly lucky that for me it is almost always paid.

Countless nights, weekends, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and school concerts - everything was sacrificed something, as it seemed more worthwhile, that will always pay off once then ...

It was a hoax. Now I understand that. All this was not so important. Just behind schedule. Just promoted goods. Just feed the beast, as I call it today.

Was it worth it?

Of course not. It was only the industry. There is no higher purpose. No main prize. Only certificates within and small statues. Mountain packages of antidepressants, empty bottles, pieces of white hair and a tumor of uncertain size.

It may seem that I'm sorry for yourself. This is not true. It was fun. I excelled in their field. I met with many talented and smart people learned to work at night, every day to provoke the creative itch and earn enough money to support a family favorite, which sometimes even seen.

But I have not done anything in my life is really important. In the creative plan. I promoted several products, to improve the economic condition of several companies and made a couple of rich people even richer

Sorry.

And further. If you are reading this, sitting in the dark studio, agonizing over whether to take another housewife soap to the right or to the left arm, Do yourself a favor - please send all to hell. Go home and kiss his wife and children.

Lynds Redding "Little lesson for the future." Translation Site

via # image6106655

Tags

See also

New and interesting