Preparation for surgery using 3D-printed models of Boston's Children's Hospital helps save lives

Surgeons at Boston Children's Hospital in 2014 began to use printed on 3D-printer models of body parts patients in preparation for operations. During this time, surgeons have saved the lives of four children from two months to sixteen years of deadly anomalies of cerebral vessels. Carrying out these operations is complicated anatomy, but the printed models allow surgeons to explore all the details and to make a plan before the child is on the operating table.

Photo: Boston's Children's Hospital i>

For the production of models for planning operations on vessels of the brain, doctors have used 3D-printers, printing with synthetic resins. Surgeons may consider all sides anatomical features of the patient's brain and to practice before the start of the operation, receiving tactile feedback. This approach has been particularly valuable for three of the four patients in the last year: their arteries and veins as a result of abnormal development are confused, surgeons had to work with them in a strictly defined sequence. Through training, surgeons were able to fix the distorted blood vessels and reduce the time of surgery.

Doctors at Boston Children's Hospital successfully use 3D-press and in other ways. Heart surgeon Andrew Powell (Andrew Powell) рассказывает, that the most difficult task for his profession - to visualize how the patient's heart would look like from the inside, when he gets into the operating room. Now doctors take an echocardiogram, angiogram, and other data to construct a 3D model of how the patient's heart looks and functions. Doctors working with models of virtual and physical, to print out. During the preparation of surgeons trying a variety of strategies, selecting the optimum - the most safe and effective.

3D-modeling helps to carry out operations of varying complexity, including - to correct maxillofacial anomaly. Doctors at Boston Children's Hospital to prepare for surgery on his face девочки Violetta using printed model of her skull. The surgeon said that if he knew this girl, because a few months before the actual dating team began to prepare for surgery.

Violetta met with the team doctors before the surgery i>

The doctors discuss a plan of action during the operation, using a printed model of the skull of the child i>

The printed skull Violetta ​​i>

Source: geektimes.ru/post/259626/

Tags

See also

New and interesting