How to enter the US Masters?

On this subject there are many posts on Habre, and each of them gave me valuable information, so I want to share with their personal experiences and based on this brief algortimom (it is a "budget" Masters):

1. Find colleges and programs in them, which is theoretically an international student can get a scholarship (hereinafter the grant);
  2. Translate and assure his diploma;
  3. To rent Toefl and GRE ;
  4. Write a Statement of Purpose and other essays (if required);
  5. Pay the registration fee and send the documents by registered mail. And all!

Now, about every step more.

1. Find colleges and programs h5> In the US, demand higher education, it is very expensive. But Masters has received much less. Here then we have, and there is a chance. Free education in the United States does not happen, so you need someone to pay for us. So the sponsor may be: your school, your state, foreign government, charitable foundations, university stranger, a stranger faculty. Each of these options is realistic and requires more detailed study. I took the last one. On many of the programs in computer science faculty of the university in the United States is willing to pay for training prospective students, because they help to conduct research, improve rating of the university and the faculty, and it oznachet more funding for them. That is not a gift from the faculty, it is their investment.

Your task is to find the maximum number of programs for which you have someone willing to pay. Of them can be further sorted by most desirable criteria steep. This step is the most difficult (!). It requires a lot of time gugleniya, and generally very routine. Since I was in the Baylor before, I had a link to this university. There I began to look, found a program in computer science, and spend more time did not, because I was all arranged immediately.

All other steps, in fact, purely technical - everything is simple and clear, take it and do.

2. Translate and assure her diploma h5> Translate diploma needed in the international department of your university. For us it was easy, but possible options. Usually university in the United States does not require any notarization of documents. I am my own diploma translated, he's grade and he made a template for a Word. The university is not looking to put a seal. But cheat, of course, not worth it, not to make problems.

3. To rent Toefl and GRE h5> Toefl - is off. That is the minimum you need to get more of the ball, otherwise you can not participate in the competition. Himself toefl - elementary. Dial the passing score will and a trained monkey, so if you have plans to study in the United States - on this account can not bathe, only $ 300 a pity.

GRE - is another matter. This is the main criterion for selection. It's like the exam, only to graduates. The main feature that it write to all that Americans and foreigners alike - to go to college. That is, you will fight in an unequal battle for a place with the Americans, whose language, of course better. Yes, this test does not check the knowledge of the language. It is assumed that you know him very well. Checked the ability to quickly analyze complex problems, to find numerical solutions, as well as logically speculate separate thesis on assumptions, arguments and evidence.

4. Write a Statement of Purpose h5> Statement - it is your essay on "Why I want to study here and now and it is on this program at this university." It should be rather personal, moderately disclose your talents. On this subject a lot of stuff on the internet. The main thing is not to copy someone else's, and write competently. You can always find someone who will help with the editing.

5. Pay the registration fee and send the documents by registered mail h5> The most expensive money-stage. Need in time, usually until early January or earlier, send the entire set of documents to the desired uni. And you need a diploma to post essays electronically download and tests you will provide the code uni, where the results will be used automatically. In this regard, it is useful to advance before the exam to know these codes.

For each application will need to pay $ 50-100. Thus, if applied to the 10 different programs, you can spend a few thousand dollars (send by registered mail a diploma is worth an average of 1,500 rubles).

Well, that's all. On - wait for the results. Usually in March you have all the answers, several universities fail, some will offer to come. Choosing the best and forth. Since I gave only one problem I had less, but the risk is greater.

I wish all the success coming. Be honest and believe in themselves. And do not forget about deadlines, GRE would be better to pass the November already.

UPD: Here we can see a page with all the necessary information on the Baylor University, Computer Science. You can pass a short quiz and find out what your chances. About the same page to find all the desired universities.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/234607/

Tags

See also

New and interesting