Master in Finland - the experience of the outgoing year

All the more relevant publications are telling about admission, living and working abroad. And because now is the time to try their hand in this business - I want to share my experience of last year's revenues in Tampere Univercity of Technology.

A linear story - I briefly tell about how life led me to this move. Next, I will describe the steps receipts, issues and solutions that can help in the coming year. Also touch on important topics - money and property.

A bit of history h4>
In the recent 2012 I was still in Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation and calmly planned to finish higher education in information security. Along the way, found work at a small bank. Last year of study is encouraging, and the bank at least some vague belief in the work on a specialty. One New Year's Eve, I received a call from his old teacher with the suggestion of some interesting work. Meet the man the next day, I found a very attractive scientific activities in the city of Tampere, but the main condition was admission to a local university.

Receipt h4>
Процесс filing documents looked at that moment is pretty clear, but for the past year, significant changes I had not noticed. The main charm of study in Finland - free education. Not every European country can boast such a bonus to the development of young people.

What is required for admission to the IT program: h5>
  • Fill out and print the application form i>. The selection committee later require a paper version.
  • Get the notarized translation of the diploma i>. Or request the original English in high school.
  • Transcript of records i>. A similar process is also required for the Diploma Supplement.
  • Certificate i> for the surrender of the English language.
  • Motivation letter i> or "why I I want to learn from you ».
  • Summary i>, it is desirable containing at least some experience in scientific activities.
  • Two letters of recommendation i> from work and / or study. Form filling - electronic, but again you need to print and sign.
  • copy of the passport i>
    Details h5>
    Because at the time of submission of documents I was still in high school and did not have a diploma, had to appeal to the dean's office to request a current list of assessments and extract ( Letter of information i>), I received a diploma in July. Necessarily need the presence of seals and university faculty. Letters of recommendation had immodest to write in English, although in agreement with the signatories people. Resume is very useful to prepare with the help of business CV template.

In parallel, I began to prepare for the exam tightly language. University of IT program takes different certificates with the relevant minimum requirements: TOEFL iBT - 79, TOEFL paper based - 580, IELTS Academic - 6.5, PTE Academic - 62 and CPE / CAE - C. I chose TOEFL iBT and began the long process of returning required skills adequately communicate and write in English. The minimum threshold seemed low (79 of 120), but all the free time it was decided to spend it on training. The exam fee, takes place in special centers and register it is necessary in advance. Even with the preparation of the book Barron's TOEFL iBT, the exam itself turned out to be many times more difficult. Frankly, I was sure that flunked it. But two weeks later, it turned out that scored 83 points. It is important that when registering for the exam is necessary to specify the code for the university e-mail from the organizers of the exam, but for the actual receipt must submit the original certificate, which is stated and a half months in Europe.

Prepare all the documents, the question arose about their transfer to a university that awaits them all on the same post. Alas, it leaves much to be desired, so it was strongly decided to go and deliver them personally. First impressions of the trip were good - it all starts to look more realistic. So began a long week waiting for a decision. One day, I received an email confirming receipt! Now we need to wait for the original e-mail, which took several weeks. With this letter, you can apply for student housing, is doing a special office - TOAS . The main charm is that housing for students pretty good quality and two times cheaper than the secondary market.

Visa h4>
    To get a student visa to Finland in addition to the original letter of confirmation to prove that you will not die of hunger in a foreign country. Namely, the required statement of your account. It should contain more than 300 thousand rubles (600 euros per month). Also need a completed form OLE_TUT i> on the student visa from the site of the immigration service in Finland, insurance for 100 thousand and two photographs. After receiving the documents at the consulate and fingerprinting, comes the long wait - request processing takes somewhere and a half months, then you can begin to call and ask about availability. After confirming it's time to go and pick up their temporary residence permit!

Expenses h4>
    In my opinion, the most important part. On it you can roughly estimate the future costs of relocation, housing and study. Pay special attention that the data of 2013, and now may differ.

Expenses in Russia h5>
    Summary table of the spending in the home country. Excluded from this list can not be anything.

Expenditure The approximate amount Notary translation documents 5000 RUB TOEFL IBT 250 USD Insurance policy for one year 200 EUR Student Visa 300 EUR < Pawn in house 300 EUR Other ext. costs 1500 RUB
     It is important to note that for the visa to be paid in the local branch of the Bank of Finland, but in rubles at the exchange rate is not very pleasant. A card will only need to pay TOAS and TOEFL. When housing costs can not specify the account number for return of collateral, it will be possible to change in the future.

Finland h5>
    This subsection describes the basic living expenses, food and study. These figures are relevant.
    Expenditure The approximate amount Student fee 100 EUR Housing 300 EUR Rental housing in the month 250-350 EUR Food per month 100+ EUR
     It is worth noting that the students here and the food, and travel at half the price. For example, a dinner at the university will cost 2, 50 euros.
    In principle, the assessment of 600 euros / month looks quite robust, so it is possible to live without starving or even as something fun.

Home h4>
    What can I say, the hostel is delicious and has nothing to do with the same place of residence in Russia. Though life and proceeds with a neighbor (each with its own bathroom), but the lack of personal space. 36 square meters per month is given to 315 euros, and is in a house built in 2000. Next, some photos of apartment the day of arrival.

Apartments are mostly furnished, clean and bright. Light, water and 100 MBit included in the price.

Pros and Cons h4>

• LTE. 24 euros to 50 MBit.
Nature. Bicycle paths, ski trails, forest and lakes. Infrastructure. You can buy everything without leaving the neighborhood. Silence. In fact, life in the forest. You can work and play sports for fun. Mail. Shipping with Amazon for a couple of days very happy! You can go home for the weekend. The road to St. Petersburg takes 5-6 hours by train.

LTE at the University i>

Alas, there are also disadvantages. Diversity in a little rest - the city is very small. But within the university there are many guilds, events and clubs. Guild IT also holds. After living in the big city here is very boring. Save plenty of work or study.

Conclusion h4>
Here you can see a list of professions and university courses this academic year. More general information can be found here .

Just answer to an interesting question about the future job search: a chance to get there. It's not easy, but possible.
Learning to like, although the system is very different from home.

Thanks for your time! I hope that the post will be useful and will help to start your journey in the near abroad.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/207044/

Tags

See also

New and interesting