A quarter century in exile

Moving to another country often is successful for a person active, energetic and generally the young. We have said many times to publish stories of young Belarusians, who decided to try his luck abroad, now is the time to introduce you to a native of Lida and now a resident of Finland, who has lived in exile quarter of a century. I graduated from the Nautical School in Riga in the Soviet times, and the distribution was in Odessa. The restructuring there were really bad with the work also began "troubles" with the obligatory exam on the Ukrainian language - without him it was impossible to register ... And I began to look for happiness in another country. Why Finland? Back in 1984, my sister moved here after marrying a Finn, I often dropped in to visit her. There he met a Russian woman, we came to the decision to start a family, and this was the reason for the move.
Go abroad, of course, it was difficult. In addition, the fact that his sister is married to a citizen of capitalist countries, has become a reason to deprive my mother as chief of the passport, and lower it to the inspector.

Were the early nineties, when I finally changed his country of residence. Initially the plan was to legalize your diploma shipbuilding (I have the international standard), but the idea remained undertaking. At first all the time was spent on language courses, and then turned up the work as a turner in the company of metal. And then, and not before the diploma was, began studying machine tools with program management, to change the company to another, that went bankrupt ... At the same time there was an idea to go to a local polytechnic institute in the evening department, plan to put into practice - so I again became a student.
In the study it took several more years. At the same time he managed to finish the course leaders, and after the destruction of the employer at the labor exchange there was an offer to become a teacher of the local school of excellence. Language was enough to try their hand - and I have all turned out. Seven years later, there was a desire to gain new knowledge, I went to college for a diploma of Jyväskylä teacher not only training courses but also conventional college for young people. As planned, he changed place - began to teach students to work on CNC machines. Study also lasted for several years, I was given a diploma in December 2013th. Now I am forced to the annual leave. Due to the complex demographic situation in the Finnish teachers were more than required, and the number of students decreases.

Financing Education in Finland, too, falls. Partly because of this, I was forced to leave, and some of my colleagues - and for the reduction. This is related to demography things: for each student's college or institute receives some compensation from the government, but because they are smaller, and the flow of money is reduced to the point where some are not working.
Now I'm busy raising their academic status - from undergraduate to master. To do this, I had to continue my studies at the university, but because of family problems and divorce went into a sabbatical. Hopefully by the fall of all the forms and study will be continued.

The Finnish language is very difficult for a foreigner. I began to understand it, even when only started coming to visit his sister, that is, about 30 years ago, but still do not say perfect. Still have to advance "scroll" phrase in his head, not all the details are clear, and, of course, remains the focus, which immediately gives me the visitor.
Do you have enough money to be paid to the union for a living? Enough even the ones that pay the labor market, and there is less. Of course, not poshikuesh, but without housing and food do not stay. However, I almost never seriously considered an option of moving to a larger city, such as Turku. Ex-wife egged on it, but I thought that as long as there is work, and it does not make sense to twitch. Once, when I had to go away to a forced vacation, it was thought to change the city, but without a specific job offers did not want to go into the unknown.
Accustomed to his "district center", to change it is already difficult. Imatra is "strategically" - near the border, it is convenient to travel to Ukraine or to invite guests. It is quiet and peaceful, no bustle of the metropolis, in Helsinki, St. Petersburg or Moscow. Finally, the cost of living in the capital of the above, especially rental housing - would have to be spread on the € 200-300 more for an apartment of the same area.

Finnish citizenship I got back in the nineties, but from Belarus refused. In those years, was able to legally possess two passports, the situation is slightly different: Belarus does not recognize dual citizenship, but does not forbid you to have a passport of another country. Now I do not remember what guided when filed a request for citizenship, because you can have all the same rights and with a residence permit. "The farm is useful" - so, probably thought.
Belarus is still my homeland. When I come to Lida, something stirs in the soul, some mild longing. Yes, things have changed over the decades, but the memories do not go away, but here in Finland, I do not feel nostalgia.
I never planned to go back. Reason one - the difference in living standards. Of course, if Lida I could get by working as an engineer, a salary of € 3-4 thous., In Imatra, this option could be considered. However, such salaries in Belarus does not matter how skilled you are not.
In Finland, arranged so that every resident in the proper sense beneficial to get an education. The teacher with a college degree will get some money, with a Bachelor - other master - the third. Step between the rates is around € 300-400. In Belarus there is no such! Education is completely free, even for foreigners (although recently discussed the introduction of payment for them), but the scholarship, of course, life will not be enough. In my case, I turned to the bank for a loan, which is paid after graduation - the rate on it is 1%.

Living consciously I did not buy. In Finland, there is no difference, what you take credit for the purchase of apartments that arenduesh it - is paid in the month about the same amount. The loan is extended for 20-30 years, that is no less than half of the economically active age. However, the apartment "binds" to a certain place, and in case of good job offers from out of town does not always get her to leave.
For life in Belarus follow. I think it is good that there is no "arbitrariness", you can more or less predict the future. Especially interesting to watch over the economy of the country. Before the devaluation in 2011 it seemed to me that the situation is stable and good. After a sharp depreciation of the national currency there was some distrust of the economic policy.
Nevertheless, I consider positive the fact that most businesses remained in the hands of the state - the country has something to pay the bills, and looted assets are not a bunch of oligarchs, as it happened in Ukraine.

For the Finns any English speaking people, whether it is from Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, automatically becomes a "Russian." In the border areas, where we are now, much depends on the wallet with the "one" side to the east. This attitude to Russian among the local population, to put it mildly, not very good. And that's why Finland has always lived very apart, here, unlike Sweden, does not accept refugees was a difficult process of emigration and to simplify only 10-15 years ago, when the borders were opened to Russified Finns remained in Russia after moving boundaries. Returning countrymen in no hurry to work through one made out "unemployment" and in strong social welfare state with superb on the dole.
Yes, in Finland was a lot of tourists from Russia. They bring much needed economy of the currency of the business in the border areas, even reoriented to immigrants - temporary and permanent. But in everyday nationalism in the minds of the Finns is growing: a lot of discontent line at the store, the dominance of Russian in water parks and saunas, rest houses, even the Russian speech in schools and kindergartens. Negative attitude is felt at the reception of officials for interviews with employers.
Of course, in the face no one will say: "Russian, what do you come here?" The Finns - polite people. However, to put pressure on the visitors may be other ways. I was told that I was sent to a forced vacation - and so, the question was decided between me and the locals. No work in the end I was left ...
Nevertheless, good in Finland more than bad. Perhaps the weakest side - it is just related to the Russian-speaking, but I think this happens in any country. Moderate nationalism - it is present everywhere. The level of living, social protection, access to education and training is very high. But the great thing - the complete absence of corruption. It is useless to give a bribe to a police officer or the officer about it at all, no one thinks.
Just because of corruption such a striking difference from Svetogorsk [the nearest town on the territory of Russia, where the Finns go to refuel]. Look, we and the Russians are paying taxes, but, unlike Finland, in Russia the money does not go to the destination, and disappeared no one knows where. Here you can be absolutely confident that the authorities not only use the proceeds as it should, but in the case of what you spend it on. You lose your job, fall ill, go out on a pension - all insured, and the insurance will work for the citizen.

Source: people.onliner.by

Tags

See also

New and interesting