Google co-founder of the regulation of industry and innovation

Google co-founder Sergey Brin and Larry Page gave a long interview venture capitalist Vinod Khosla at the recent annual summit of Khosla Ventures, and the video of the interview last week appeared on YouTube, пишет TechCrunch.

In an interview touched very different issues - from machine learning to the changing situation on the labor market, from new opportunities for technology in health care to their 16-year history of the relationship as co-sponsors. You can view the entire 42-minute conversation in the video above, there are also текстовая transcript.

Particularly interesting are their thoughts on the future of health care, given the recent steps taken by Google in this area. Approximately 29 minutes into the video above Khosla asks: "Can you imagine that Google has become a medical company? This area may be larger than the search business or the media business ».

Obviously, both Brin and Page are very interested in medicine and health, but they repel the current obstacles in the legal regulation in the United States. Brin said:

«I think that's certainly a big business, and we have [products such as] contact lenses that monitor glucose levels ... but overall health is so heavily regulated, it's just agonizing business. This is not how I wanted to spend my time. Although we have several projects in the area of ​​health, we will deal with them in a certain degree. But I think that the burden of regulation in the US is so high that it deters many entrepreneurs ». Blockquote>
 Paige continued:

«... I am very enthusiastic about the possibilities of data including better health, but it is, I think, as said Sergei, so heavily regulated, this is a complex area.

I can give you an example: Imagine if you had a chance to look at the medical records of people in the United States, and any medical researcher could do it. Possibly removing names. And, perhaps, when a medical researcher looking for on your data, you can see what he was looking for and why. I believe that it would be allowed to keep 10 000 lives in the first year, only this. It is almost impossible to do because of the Health Insurance Act. So, I'm afraid we overregulated and deprived himself of some really great possibilities of data mining ». Blockquote>
 Later, on 37 minutes, Paige shared similar thoughts about how complicated laws affect the efficiency of governments and corporations:

«I am afraid that when I look at the government, our interaction with the government ... it becomes quite illogical.
... The complexity of government increases with time. If you just look at all of our democracies in the world, the amount of regulation and laws that we have infinitely growing ...

One thing that I suggest, I talked to some state leaders, actually with the president of South Korea, and I said to her: "Why do not you just limit all laws and regulations to a certain volume of pages. And when you add a page, you have to remove the other. " And she actually wrote it, it's cool. I think otherwise gosudartsva probably just fall apart under its own weight, in spite of good people and good intentions. Just because of one of the growing complexity of the issue. I just do not think it is reasonable.

When [Google] has become a public company, the laws have been on for 60 years. Had to take a random law professor, lock him in a room and tell them to rewrite, then came to something much better. But we do not do it ». Blockquote>
 Given the amount of time they spent thinking about such topics will be interesting to see whether will be engaged in Brin and Page change how things work at the level of regulation in the future.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/229161/

Tags

See also

New and interesting