Paranzhu - veiled fear

The Taliban regime fell, strict rules regarding the dress anymore, but Afghan women still continue to walk, wrapped from head to toe in a burqa. Why did they continue to hide his face? The answer lies in the very clothes: the veil has long been a subject of national culture.

9 ph via Bigpicture

1. Severe Taliban regime is no more, but many Afghan women are still afraid to lose their veil. "Without it, I feel naked, - says Rokiya from Kabul. - I just can not take it off. Without it, I would know that all they look at me. "

2. Even a few years after the fall of the organization "Taliban" on the streets of Afghanistan is full of ghostly blue shapes. Women in veils walk past the cars, begging for alms, they can be seen on the market, or even on motorcycles with their husbands. Often they talk on a cell phone, holding the phone to your ear upholstered in blue fabric.

3. But even now, when the strict rules of the Taliban finally canceled that makes women still wear the traditional costume? Director of the Afghan Women's Union Soraya Parlika believes that the burqa gives women a sense of security in a dangerous time.

4. The Afghan burqa covers a woman completely without letting curious eyes to see it or determine its age. The most common color of the burqa - the blue, but there are also white, brown and other colors.

5. Most of them are made of cheap synthetic fabrics with a little translucent part of the eye. Afghan burqa has a long history.

6. Women are wearing them for centuries, but the era of the regime "Taliban" It was just one of the few options for clothing for Muslim women who want to meet the Islamic standards of modesty. Islam requires that a woman wearing a hijab or veil to cover the neck and head, as well as clothing with long sleeves and pants.

7. King Amanullah, who ruled from 1919 to 1929, shocked the country when allowed his wife, Queen Soraya, to remove her veil in public. However, the emergence of women in the street without a burka in the days of the Taliban regime could have caused severe punishment.

8. Even the most modern women and girls in Kabul were in no hurry to remove their veil after the fall of "Taliban" in 2001.

9. "We used to sell 20-30 burqa a day - says the owner of a shop in the center of Kabul. - We sell only 5-10, and then, mainly women from the province. Trade burqa ceases to generate income. "

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting