Refinery in Montreal

Tehnoekskursiya of refineries in the Canadian city of Montreal.

The island of Montreal, 500 km 2, the length of 50 km, a population of about 4 million. All the people on the island to write, cocoa, wash their hands and take a shower. All of the waste flow through the pipes to the huge processing plants.

21 photos via live_report

1. And there are several levels of purification, the water re-enters the river and flows in the ocean.

2. Write about the plant and processes within, not being an employee or his or chemist or engineer, it is difficult, but I still try. The first thing that impressed - dimensions. For quick cursory inspection of the entire plant took us more than 6 hours.

3. We started with a building called "pumping station". There are flocking all waste and further from there they go to clean. On the surface, the station height of only 2-3 floors, but it goes underground levels 8-9.

5. Of course, the station a lot of different equipment, about the purpose of which I have not the slightest idea.

6. But it looks impressive.

9. Although something I still know now. It compressors. They, idea, create pressure in the waste pipe went on.

10. Pumps. A total of 17 pieces of the station.

12. Electric motors for pumps. Their 4 pieces and cost about 1 million dollars each.

13. In addition to the basic function, the station as well and nourishes itself. Inside the pipes are turbines, which generate electricity. Generator.

14. Diesel generators them.

16. It so happens that the station does not use the full amount of energy created by it and then have it destroyed. In the beginning, the management tried to negotiate with the local energy monopolies - Hydro Qubec, but then realized that it is easier just to destroy.

17. At the station, of course, also take a water sample and produce all kinds of scientific experiments. Wardrobe laboratory.

18. Automatic sampling - determination of chemical pollutants,

20. Another thing that surprised me very much at the station - this amount of people. For normal operation of the entire plant just 12 people per shift. The rest - the support staff.

21. And finally, the most sweet - a great view of the place where the water comes. Such "tank" at the factory just 4 pieces and only one time was a danger of overflow. In time heavy rains filled the water tank by 75%. As said at the station, a little bit more and would be declared the evacuation.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting