Abandoned Steel Plant

Writes Vitkaravan:

Today, we go with you to the city of Nizhny Tagil, Sverdlovsk region in the Metallurgical Plant named after Kuibyshev. More precisely, before there was a factory, but now it is frozen in the history of metal, a huge open-air museum. I've been here for four hours and it was getting dark already, but this seemed not enough to explore all the details, because the area of ​​large, multiple departments, blast furnaces and the surrounding area with wagons and buckets.

The plant was built on the banks of the pond of the city near Mount Fox in 1975. Initially, it was Demidov iron-smelting plant zheleznodelatelny and later in the Soviet time the factory expanded to Kuibyshev plant here, as before, the iron produced. In 1989, the plant was closed, and so there was plant open air museum.
49 photos

Open-hearth furnace plant

When you're inside the plant - it is impressive scale and complexity of the processes that took place. Here you can see the powerful parts of enormous size, large-diameter pipes and a variety of metal structures.

About the destination of most of mechanisms and devices can only guess. Let steelmakers correct me if I'm somewhere made a mistake in the description.

One of the most interesting places is the old plant Open-hearth shop - where smelted iron. Currently, open-hearth furnaces have never used them to replace other technology of iron.

Another interesting place - Blast furnace plant, blast furnaces that rises above all other buildings. Domain shop and pipe painted in orange and can be seen from afar. In the blast furnace coke is fed (solid fuel) and ore using special lifting mechanisms. Then followed by heat treatment. And the output is iron, which is removed through special channels in the hot-metal bowls.

2. Open-hearth shop, well preserved

3. iron ladles in open-hearth shop

4. Old wall hearth plant

5. jib

6. Ladle

7. Over time, the roof sprung a leak and now the old open-hearth shop has become more like a greenhouse

8. A huge cast iron bath

9. Here, I found a book that speaks volumes ...

10. Powerful fan

11. Roof Martynov shop

12. Blast Furnace

13. The technological input into the blast furnace

14. The complex unit of blast furnace

15. These pipes supplied water for cooling the blast furnace

16. The territory of the plant. Circular device, overgrown with grass, the purpose I do not know

17. Technological door at the top of the blast furnace

18. Here is the blast furnace plant factory museum

19. Powerful cables to supply the ore and coke

20. View from the blast furnaces. City pond and Fox Mountain

21. Workshops metallurgical plant

22. At the forefront of the energy department and the right - rolling mill

23. Blast furnace is very high, more than 60 meters

24. Cables

25. Farther brick chimney for removing combustion products

26. The mechanism probably served to feed ore in a blast furnace

27. The view from the very top of the blast furnace

28. The pipe rolling mill