Sisters - anoreksichki

The twins Maria and Kathy Campbell was only 11 years old when they heard a conversation between their parents, who, they say, changed their lives forever.

Maria recalls: "We were standing on the top of the stairs and heard the pope said:" Damn, these girls become young women, is not it? They appear hip! "For most people, it's kind of harmless words, but for Maria and Katie, they became a nightmare for many years. "We decided that day that if we stop there, we will lose our hips. I subconsciously wanted thus to punish his father and mother - says 33-year-old Maria. - And I think that's what we're doing both ever since. " Now sisters, I repeat, 33 years. Their growth 5ft 5in (165 cm?), Weight 6 Stone (38 kilos?).

Who can say for sure what's going on in the minds of patients with anorexia nervosa? The terrible reality is that, because of their desire to "punish" her parents, Maria and Katie wiped the last 22 years of his life - and never will be able to recover from the effects. "It's like a heavy stone, which I have ridden, - says Maria. - I'm in control of everything I eat, how many calories I burned, as I'll weigh in tomorrow and how much I weigh today. It is an obsession. The obsession that can kill us both ».

The sisters unnatural children's voices and a small weight, much of his youth was spent in hospitals. Now they again fall on the hospital for several months, and this time they are determined to overcome her anorexia. "I lost everything because of the disease - says Cathy. - I lost my life, my home, my hair, my job, everything ... and I'm absolutely fed up with this ... I can not walk anymore. My back hurts, my heart beat irregularly, have osteoporosis, chronic stomach pain and pancreatitis. I'm sitting on diuretics because my kidneys are not working. I have so much fear that I almost did not sleep for the last two weeks. "

Strange, but the women say that their childhood was happy. "In high school, we weighed in the class - says Cathy. - There was another pair of identical twins, who weighed less than us. They were beautiful and popular, and we feel the uncertainty with Maria. " In addition, girls' mother was very slim, and the kids thought she was a role model. "We wanted to be like those thin twins and our mother. Maria began keeping a food diary and write down everything we ate our weight and how much exercise we did. We began to skip breakfast and fanatical sports. In fact, when we lost weight so quickly, we received an incredibly high adrenaline rush that caused the desire to lose even more weight ».

In the twins had a system: for six days they consumed only 400 calories a day and the last day of the week, they absorbed everything they could get - bread, pasta, chips, cakes. Maria adds: "We hide from mom and dad what's going on. We hid our food for radiators, in drawers and even in our piano. Then, when ours did not watch, we threw everything in the trash. When we were 15, my mother noticed that we lose weight. She started to sit with us at dinner - but one of us distracted her, and the other at the time hid the food in their sleeves. Mom is now admitted that he feels guilty. But she could not do anything. We were obsessed. "
Despite his illness, both girls got excellent marks in the final exams at school and have been accepted to medical school at the Royal Free Hospital in London. "Our parents never put pressure on us to study, but the fact that my father was in Oxford meant that subconsciously we felt pressure in any case", - says Cathy. After six months of study, doctors noticed that the twins something wrong, and they were sent to various clinics for treatment. "I remember one of the doctors said that I was thin, but my weight loss is not as catastrophic as in Katy, - says Maria. - Instead of feeling relieved, I thought, "No one should claim that Kathy better than I," and became even more diligently to lose weight. " Since the sisters denied their femininity, they made a deadly competition - who will be thinner and anyone unfortunate hip will be thinner. Incredibly, they both graduated from medical school in 2009 and now they are qualified doctors. Now they share a flat. Never none had a boyfriend.

Mother of girls said that daughters guess about the disease from the outset. Still, after all, she just suffered from anorexia in adolescence. The doctors say that eating disorders are usually characterized by the mother and daughter. In this family, it turned out that way. "I find hidden food in the cupboards, and very worried. But I thought it was just a period in girls, and everything goes. From the beginning, the doctors explained that the girls competing to see who will be thinner. They fell into a rage, when we tried to feed them. I felt powerless to stop the course of the disease, which undermined the lives of my daughters. Now they first began to talk openly about his illness and I had a glimmer of hope for their recovery ».

Hence

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting