When my mother passed away, my sister appeared at home for the first time in five years, but not to express condolences.

Let every year it is believed less and less, but still in people there is still such a thing. conscience. We are still able to empathize, share our own opinions and perceive others. But, unfortunately, negative things happen. For example, ungrateful children or neighbors who spit on everything. It would seem that it has always been so, but it is morally difficult to get used to this.

Education, living conditions, self-discipline – these are the three “whales” that make a person a worthy member of society. They will not cheat on their wives or husbands, and then claim half the property of others in court. They will not deceive friends, take or give bribes and so on. But, as practice shows, such people become very few. Why is that? The answer is a fourth reason: the environment. “Live with wolves, howl like wolves,” as they say.

If you believe my friends and acquaintances, brothers and sisters in childhood are your worst enemies. It's all about competition. They need more parental attention, more gifts, love and affection. And since in childhood we are still selfish, there can be no question of any concessions. That is why there are so many quarrels and resentments during this period. When we grow up, our brothers and sisters become the closest people to us. There is nothing more to share, there is a common past, trust and all that. A new phase of the relationship.

But my older sister and I had the opposite. As a child, we were very friendly and constantly helped each other. Perhaps this was facilitated by not too easy living conditions. Although our family had the largest house in the village, we did not live very richly. Our parents were constantly working and we were left with housework and not only. I had to work hard physically and deny myself a lot. So my sister and I always held each other and stood in front of our parents as one.

Even then, years later, when my sister hardly lived with us, every time she justified my biggest mistakes to my mother and always supported me. Katya moved to the city early and got married. On the one hand, she really liked her boyfriend, but on the other, and I understand her perfectly, she wanted to get out of the village and start living her life. Without constant, monotonous work and parental complaints. Well, she did it.

I, in turn, stayed with my mom and dad. I don’t know why, but I didn’t get into the big world. First of all, after I came of age, I talked to my parents and told them everything that was on my mind. I asked, even demanded, that I not be perceived as a schoolgirl or a free maid. I also wanted respect and expected to be understood. Otherwise, I'll have no trouble moving in with my sister, wiping out and staying in town.

The conversation was long, but Mom and Dad reconsidered their attitude towards me. Since then, we have had no more conflicts. I did everything I was asked to do, and I was no longer looked down on. We really became a family at the time, it’s a shame we didn’t have an older sister. She was living with her husband and was trying to become part of his family. Although her mother-in-law was very skeptical. Well, it happens all the time.

Like I said, I didn’t want to leave my parents’ house. I tried a couple of times to build a romantic relationship, but I came to the conclusion that it was not mine. In addition, it turned out that my mother began to feel bad, so my personal feelings and aspirations faded into the background. The hospital confirmed a disappointing diagnosis, sclerosis. But my father, instead of focusing his energy on caring for his wife, sat tight on a glass a month later. Since then, I have probably never seen him completely sober.

Katya took the sad news stoically. Said she was sorry, but she couldn't help her right now. She's got a job in the city, she's doing an internship, and she doesn't even have a minute for coffee, so she can't come. There is no way to send money, no one in our family has yet managed to get a payment card. So now literally all the household chores are on my shoulders. If you don't want to, you have to deal.

It's been a long 5 years. My mother went from being an energetic, hardworking woman to her own shadow. She kept getting dark and dark until she left us completely. His father drank so much that his neighbors no longer recognized him. On the day of farewell, it was said that if he lived to the summer, it would be true luck. I tried to find some compassion and support from my sister, but it was all for nothing. She turned into a completely different person. The concept of conscience left in a past life.

A week or two after my mother passed away, she came to see me in person. I was even happy at first, put the tea, prepared to listen to how she was doing, what was new. But Katya did not even take off her shoes on the doorstep. She looked around the room, then sat down and looked me straight in the eye. Without blinking or giving any emotion, she said our house should be sold. And divide the money equally. There's nothing to cling to.

I wanted to answer that she probably forgot about the existence of her father, but Katya just smiled crookedly. What about me, I've been looking after my mother all these years, not her. And now my sister has the nerve to come here and demand half of my house. What a joy, you're kind of based in the city. Why do you need those pennies? But Katya's face hasn't changed. Apparently, the concept of conscience is not familiar to her. She just said that if I don't want to take the case to court, I have to agree. Otherwise, I don't stand a chance. “Like my dad, one day I wake up sober.”

Having abandoned all my business, I went to my neighbor from the other side of the village. She had a similar situation and I could get some advice from her. It turned out that if I wanted to keep the house and resolve everything peacefully, I would have to pay my sister a certain amount, which the judge would prescribe. You will have to pay every month. The problem is that I have almost no money. I am not going to get a good job anytime soon.

So I guess I'll have to sell our big house and give my sister half the money. Just because she and I used to live here together. Is that fair? Nope. Do I honor myself as a devotee? Yeah. Nothing can be done, the law is on her side. Apparently, the city does not change people for the better. It's not for nothing that I once feared him. Oh, for good reason.

Tags

See also

New and interesting