Left or right ... the gas tank hatch?

Have you noticed that the filling neck of the petrol tanks of cars are on different sides? I have long been interested in - the manufacturer's manual, making the machine to the left or right hatches? And most importantly, what option is still better?

Please do not break

Find a reputable engineer a plausible answer on the Internet I could not. I think this question of engineers interested in as little as a steering arrangement, if accepted to do the left - under the hood, and run.

There are companies orthodox. For example, absolutely all Volkswagen models and BMW have a right flap, and modern Kia - left. Funny, that if "Sportazh" first generation was right, it was now left, as well as other products of the Korean company. Accordingly, the camp of the "left" refers Hyundai, and another - Ssang Yong.

There is a "bisexual" brand, for example, Citroen, in which all models except the popular C4 (DS4) and C5, are left-hatches. Interestingly, the DS5, built on a platform of "right" C4 hatch done on the left. Where is the logic?

Many dual brands still have clear preferences, for example, Toyota is the camp of the "Left" (exception - LC200 and GT86), and Nissan is drawn to the right (except Patrol). With the "Ford" - the same ("olevela" Only Fiesta). "Righty" is AvtoVAZ, but there are exceptions - Lada 2104. the Ferrari was the product of only 599 left, but despite this, buy it.

The simplest explanation is associated increase in bandwidth stations: that machines could refuel on both sides of the column, it is convenient to have a fleet with different arrangement of flap. But this assumption becomes less obvious if we analyze the statistics.

I took the top 25 models of the Russian car market and calculated the proportion of cars with different hatches. It turned out that in Russia the ratio is 20:80 in favor of the right-wing forces!

To the principle of charging the two sides fully worked producers of all countries must abide by a contract in which half of the machine does so, and the other - on the contrary. Either half of the lineup left half - right. But to find the actual evidence of such an agreement impossible: for example, has the lion's share of the German right-wing hatches.

There are brands that are trying to decide whether to be honest, for example, the US subsidiary of Chevrolet, in my estimation, produces about the same amount of cars with different hatches, apparently, thinking about the convenience of refueling issues globally. But in Russia and Europe are sold mainly Korean Chevrolet, but they are mostly right.

It turns out our part of the world is leaning to the right location hatch, and if not for Hyundai / Kia and a couple of Asian models, the rule of "right-handed" would be almost total. That is why all gas stations are usually longer on the left side of the column. And the right-hand drive cars often have left-wing hatches, for example, Nissan Wingroad. This leads us to believe that the location of the flap on the diagonal from the booster has some advantages.

Personally, I like this arrangement because it allows you to drive closer to the column and open the driver's door is not afraid to be put on the curb or the protective railing. There is also a hypothesis that this pair is less than gasoline fall into the cabin through the door, and another thing when refueling the car on the track of the cans is less likely to be under the machine. The conclusion is obvious: the right flap steers. And do not argue.

Still, as the producers decide which option to choose? I think this is a political issue - neither more nor less. Here Kia and Hyundai have grown near by Japan and probably in pervosti equaled at her mother, forgetting that in Japan a steering wheel on the other side. Ssang Yong, in theory, been nourished "Mercedes", and left the hatch became a sort of challenge to the Old World.

Chevrolet, bought Daewoo, once equal to Europe, and since the "Daewoo" were with the right hatches, left as is - Europe is accustomed to.

Toyota Aygo and GT86 in contrast to the rest of the "Toyota" have left the hatch, but here, apparently, affects the models lack of independence: first divides itself with Peugeot107 / Citroen C1, the second - with the Subaru BRZ. Ford, may have made lefty Fiesta, because in Europe it is one of the most popular - to reduce queues at the petrol stations. After all, the second best-selling Ford Focus - «righty».

Another reason why manufacturers tend to one embodiment - the habit of customers. In Europe, appreciate the loyalty to the brand. And in order not to confuse the consumer, it is better to do one side hatches. I'm calls to customer support complaining about the lack of tank capacity at the new car happen.

There is also a feeling that the most left-wing hatches found in Europe at the female models. Maybe because the euro-blonde less confused about where to find the gas tank?

As I often go to other people's machines, the location of the flap used to be a problem: which side to drive up to the gas station? Then someone suggested a little trick: on the fuel gauge next to the gas station there is usually inconspicuous delta arrow indicating the direction of the search.

avto59.ru/text/autostop/604781.html

All

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting