Birthday Gorbachev (12 photos)

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev celebrated his 80th birthday at a gala evening at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Sharon Stone.

Gorbachev's granddaughter.

The tone for the evening, asked the legendary German band Scorpions song "Wind of Change» (Wind of Change), personifies the West fall of communism in Eastern Europe, in which a key role played by Gorbachev.

In Jovovich, despite some disorder in the locker room, made a speech from the stage. "When in 1980 we left the then Soviet Union, we thought we would never see our loved ones and friends. Only thanks to Mikhail Sergeyevich borders opened, and we met again, "- said almost cried Hollywood actress.

Mel C just sang.

Next to Mikhail Sergeyevich has always been his daughter. Speaking to the guests of the evening, Gorbachev himself admitted that he expects to live at least 90 years old and feels happy man. "I did not even think I'd live to 80 years, and now I am taking an obligation to live up to 90 years", - joked Gorbachev under the approving laughter of the audience. He expressed the hope that, despite all the contradictions of his era, he was able to give people an understanding of the ideals of freedom.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

singer Paul Anka

Actress Goldie Hawn

Opera singer Katherine Jenkins

Kevin Spacey and Sharon Stone led the ceremony

The holiday outstanding figures of our time were awarded first prizes in three categories Gorbachev - "Perestroika", "Acceleration" and "glasnost". In the category "Perestroika" Prize awarded creator of the World Wide Web (World Wide Web), Timothy Berners-Lee. Winner of "Acceleration" was a 25-year-old Kenyan Evans Wadąg developed for African alternative energy sources. In the third category - "Glasnost" - won the CNN founder Ted Turner.

radulova

Tags

See also

New and interesting