Should I celebrate my birthday?

As a child, we look forward to every birthday, anticipating congratulations and receiving gifts. But over the years, the joy of growing up is replaced by unfunny thoughts about the transience of years, noisy feasts begin to weigh down, and a birthday that is “not like a holiday” turns into a tedious routine.

I want to turn off the phone and leave the city, or lie on the couch, drink tea with goodies and watch a movie. But society lives by stereotypes. The holiday is more for the guests than for the birthday party.

Relatives and colleagues are demanding that "everything is like people": cakes, salads, hot, desserts and toast, as they get intoxicated smoothly into the political debate. If you don’t invite them, they come by themselves. What can you do?

Why do people not like to celebrate their birthday, and how to spend it so that only the most pleasant moments remain in memory? "Site" He has gathered many opinions and will try to find an answer.

1. Tiring cooking
    In the understanding of our person, any holiday, and especially the birthday, is simply unthinkable without a folding table under a white tablecloth, filled to the brim with bowls and plates with all kinds of food.

A Western buffet? Snacks on the corner table? It doesn't sound Russian. A buffet table with sandwiches and canapes will sooner or later be taken to the center of the room, guests will sit around it, and the hostess will urgently go to fry potatoes.

Therefore, in order not to fall face to face in the dirt, the prudent owners from the evening begin to bake a cake, pour cold bowls, at six in the morning get up to make salads, then patties, mashed potatoes, slicing, sandwiches ...

Guests are coming. The landlady sits on the corner. Says she's more comfortable. Constantly jumps up to change plates, add compote, check the oven. I am glad that everyone is happy and satisfied. Tired of smiling and going to wash dishes, because it is not the case that in the morning there was a dirty kitchen.

In addition, space in a two-bedroom apartment full of furniture is not enough, so the birthday has to be divided into 2-3 parts: today friends, tomorrow relatives. Today's adults, tomorrow's kids from class. Today they will come from work, and tomorrow the neighbors should invite Uncle Petya and Aunt Oley.

Serving a horde of drunken guests is not the best entertainment! Not surprisingly, many people try to avoid such “fun” by any means. For example, leave for this time outside the city or on a tourist trip. No, I don't mind having friends. But maybe we should celebrate differently?

2. Obsessive relatives
    “So you’re not going to celebrate the anniversary, are you?” the excited cuma calls me. "You mean you're not planning anything? It should be noted that all relatives are waiting, her mother echoes her.

They are offended by refusals, and then they still come by surprise. Mother-in-law just shows up with a bag of vegetables, and I just need to boil them quickly, cut them, fill them up, and cook something else.

I decided to go to the river with my wife and son for my birthday. There's no connection. I got home at midnight and I got a million missed calls, the same calls a hundred times.

And then there's a bunch of hurt texts saying, where are you, what you don't answer, you could answer. On my birthday, I have to stay on my phone.

3. Psychological pressure
    One Reddit user asked why readers no longer want to celebrate their birthday. The question received more than 7,000 comments. Judging by the answers of the editors, most of the reasons are psychological.

“There is too much pressure around a birthday party. What will you do? Who's coming? What do you want? What was the last year of your life like? What have you achieved? Such excitement for another day of existence.”

“The fact that the holidays are supposed to be grandiose makes me angry. If I don’t get enough attention for my birthday, I don’t feel well.

“Hey, look at you, another year has passed, and what have you achieved?” Nothing? Didn't even find your first job? This is what I think about during my new year and birthday. It's not a happy birthday. I would rather not see how the time goes.”

I always get angry on my birthday because I don’t want extra attention and I don’t think I deserve it.

There are also answers with practical recommendations.

“I always take a day off on my birthday and pamper myself: hairstyle, manicure, massage, and then I go out for lunch and maybe shopping.” I do whatever I want! On this day, between 8 and 17 hours, I am not a boss, spouse or parent, as I have been for the past 8 years! Pamper yourself!

For me. perfect birthday It’s like walking with your family in the park, going to the movies, eating ice cream. In the evening, have dinner in a narrow circle, order food, do not cook. The festive menu can be completely different: from pizza and rolls to real restaurant delicacies, it all depends on the mood.

It's my birthday and only my birthday. Therefore, no one has the right to decide or impose on me how and with whom to conduct it. Happy birthday to you, and let the holiday bring only joy and vivid emotions, not fatigue and disappointment!

Tags

See also

New and interesting