Sprats in oil - a very popular product on our table. This is - the taste of childhood, the taste of the festive table, taste scarce grocery order. Since then, when the jar sprat was a scarce commodity and a symbol of the holiday feast many years had passed, but people's love for sprats remains robust.
Most recently broke another "food" scandal - Rosselkhoznadzor revealed a discrepancy Latvian sprats regulations of the Customs Union and Russia. During the border veterinary control was revealed increased content carcinogen benzopyrene, which is formed during smoking.
From this edition, you will learn interesting facts about the series a favorite with many product - as prepared sprats in the USSR as they are produced today, how to choose a bottle in the store than Latvian manufacturers have not pleased Rosselkhoznadzor and more.
1. Initially canned "Sprats in oil" made from Baltic sprat (a subspecies of the European sprat), followed by that name also became the Caspian sprat, herring, herring and other small fish. When cooking small fish sprat without any pretreatment smoked, then preserved in oil.
2. In common parlance, the word "sprat" usually refers to any smoked canned fish from small fish in oil.
3. The composition according to GOST "sprats in oil" is as follows: fish - sprat and herring, vegetable oil and salt. The number of fish in the bank should be at least 75 percent of its volume, the rest - oil. Fish should be laid or abdomens or backs to the bottom or lid of parallel or intersecting rows.
4. In the USSR, sprats were a fixture of the holiday table. Bank sprat cost dearly - 1 ruble 80 kopecks. Hostess necessarily prepared for a big feast of sandwiches with sprats: butter, mayonnaise or light toasted bread.
5. smoking formed benzpyrene - a carcinogen that accumulates in the body and can cause the development of a number of mutations leading to the formation of malignant tumors.
6. At present, the Russian Federation reduced the permissible limits benzopyrene (substances produced during smoking) in such products. Therefore, many manufacturers make "sprats" by simply preserving fish in oil with the addition of "liquid smoke».
7. Quality sprats have a light golden color (they smoked on alder chips). They must be intact in its structure, with smooth skin. Of course, the best sprats today are those who are in a glass jar or metal with a transparent lid. In this case, you can personally verify the quality of the product.
8. In November 2006, the CPS has stopped production turnover sprats Latvia. Was revealed the storage and sale of products with a high content of benzopyrene. The fact that according to EU standards, the content is permitted in sprats benzopyrene 5 micrograms per kilogram of product, and in Russia - only 1 microgram. Accordingly canned Latvia under Russian standard does not fall. However, the summer of 2008 a ban on the import of Latvian sprats was removed completely, as Russia increased allowable concentration of benzopyrene in canned fish to the EU standard - 5 g.
At the beginning of 2013. Rosselkhoznadzor found in the Latvian sprats production company SIA Randa elevated levels of benzopyrene. Co-owner of Oskars Grosmanis by quotation Latvian portal Delfi said: "We are at a loss. No official information we received. Based on the data from the web site, the rate exceeded 35 times, but this is absurd. In the cans then must lie coal. " According to him, the company produces a product that meets all standards and requirements, and now the company is waiting for information from the Russian authorities on the further development of the situation.
9. Sprat (canned) have winter and summer styling. In the summer, when the fish lives in warm water, it is less moves and accumulates fat, so she cracked her back and placed belly up. So it is, for example, advertising photos. In winter, the fish are placed backed up.
10. By the way, for those who like sprats with caviar and fatter, pay attention to the date of manufacture of canned food: fish, caught in the fall - the fat.
11. If in a tin sprats partially seethe and prick with a fork crumble, means at their manufacturing process was violated.
12. Period of validity sprat is 24 months from date of manufacture. Open cans of sprats can be stored in the refrigerator for three days.
13. In the summer of 2008 in the border town of Mamonovo (Kaliningrad Oblast), where there is a large fish cannery (1949), a monument to sprats.
14. In recent years, on the shelves, in addition to classical sprats in oil, a lot of innovations: sprats in tomato sauce, sprats with lemon, etc. When choosing a sprat to pay attention to packaging. The outer surface of tin should be smooth, without dents or bulges. If moisture gets on the paper label letters blurred - before you fake.
15. Useful substances contained in sprats: vitamins E, A, B1, B2, polyunsaturated fat, protein, phosphorus, calcium.