During the so-called "struggle for Africa" almost all countries have been colonized by foreign countries. Independent left only Ethiopia and Liberia, is an interesting fact.
In Africa there are 54 countries and one disputed territory called Western Sahara.
Prior to the colonization in Africa had up to 10,000 different States and Autonomous tribes with their own languages, customs and culture.
According to official statistics: the most popular language in Africa is Arabic. It is spoken by over 170 million people.
The second — English (130 million), followed by Swahili (100 million people), French (115 million people), and Hausa (50 million people), is an interesting fact.
On the continent speak 2000 languages.
About 50% of Africans are under 25 years.
According to demographic trends, by 2050 Africa's population will more than double — to $ 2.3 billion.
Africa is the poorest and undeveloped continent in the world, is an interesting fact. The total GDP of all African countries amounts to only 2.4% of world GDP.
About 40% of the adult population in Africa did not have secondary education.
During the Second Congo war killed more than 5.4 million people! The number of victims of the conflict is second only to the Second world war, is an interesting fact.
In new York more Internet users than in all of Africa.
Sahara — the largest desert in the world! Its territory is larger than the continental United States.
Africa is the second driest continent after Australia.
On the African continent more than 1 million Chinese citizens. One in Angola, there are more than 350,000 Chinese in fact.
Africa is the second largest continent in the world and occupies about one-fifth of the total world's land area. Its area is about 30.2 million km2
Terrible fact about Africa: the continent has more than 25 million people living with HIV. At the moment more than 17 million people have already died from the disease.
Approximately 90% of all malaria cases in the world occur in Africa, is an interesting fact.
Africa is the hottest continent in the world. Deserts and drylands cover more than 60% of its area.
Interesting facts: Africa has over 30% of the mineral resources of the Earth.
Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa. It has a population of 125-145 million people. Egypt is the second most populous country with over 76 million people, is an interesting fact.
Algeria is the largest country in Africa. Its area is 2500 km2. The smallest country is the island nation of Seychelles with a total area of slightly more than 453 square kilometres.
Interesting facts: Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa and second largest freshwater lake in the world. Its area is 69 490 km2.
Egypt is the most popular tourist destination in Africa, attracting around 10 million visitors a year, is an interesting fact.
In Africa lives the world's largest animal is the African elephant. It can weigh from 6 to 7 tons.
Scientists believe Africa was once part of a single super-continent called Pangaea. Asia and South America separated from Africa about 80 million years ago. The African continent remained relatively stable and has not changed for a long time.
Geologists believe that Madagascar separated from the African continent about 160 million years ago, is an interesting fact.
The ancient Greeks and Romans originally used the term "Africa" only to the Northern part of the continent. In Latin, the word Africa means "Sunny," and Aphrike in Greek means "without cold."
Interesting facts: historians estimate that approximately 7-12 million slaves were transported from Africa to America between the XV and XIX centuries.
Since 2001, all countries of the continent, with the exception of Morocco, entered the so-called "African Union" — an interesting fact.
Islam is the dominant religion in Africa. Along with Christianity, these two religions comprise 85% of the population of the continent. The remaining 15% of the population are atheists and representatives of traditional African religions.
Interesting facts: Nigeria is the fourth largest oil exporter in the world and the largest oil producer in Africa. Nigeria supplies the world market of about 2.2 million barrels every day.
China is the main trading partner of Africa. Trading volumes are about $200 billion a year — an interesting fact.
China's direct investment in Africa exceeds $50 billion.
More than 90% of the soils in Africa are unsuitable for agriculture.
Interesting facts: more than 240 million Africans suffer from chronic malnutrition.
Among the peoples of Africa, there are small and tall people in the world.
Equatorial Guinea is the richest country in Africa. GDP per capita is $ 16,507. Botswana is second with a GDP of $ 14 906. In last place is Zimbabwe 589 dollars a year, is an interesting fact.
Chad ranks second in the world for speed of economic growth.
Unfortunately the top 10 poorest countries in the world are in Africa.